Risks in software engineer

Started by
3 comments, last by LorenzoGatti 16 years, 11 months ago
Hi. I have to research about risks, and I was wondering if you guys can give any good sites for the risks in software engineer. It has to have risk analysis, risk identification, controlling risks, managing and monitoring risks. Thank You.
Advertisement
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=risks+in+software+engineering

Not to sound mean, but part of being the "researcher" means you have the knowledge on how to acquire or somehow gather the results for the subject of your research. Search engines being one of those things that you should know how to use, being a researcher.
Human information is frequently more usable and productive than Google information. Don't bust someone's chops for asking for higher quality resources.
gamedesign-l pre-moderated mailing list. Preventing flames since 2000! All opinions welcome.
While it is always a good idea to perform a cursory web search before asking a question, risk management is a highly complex topic. There are some things that just can't be easily located on Google, unfortunately.

In fact, risk management in SE is hard to find information on period. It's very poorly understood, and even after over 50 years of creating software, we're still pretty bad at keeping projects moving.

There's some high quality literature you might be interested in checking out that deals with this sort of thing: The Mythical Man Month, PeopleWare, and so on. (Those Amazon links, incidentally, should guide you to a whole horde of other books on the subject. I'll leave it to you to locate ones which are particularly relevant to your area of interest.)

A lot of current cutting-edge wisdom in software engineering is expressed on the Internet. I'd recommend programming.reddit.com and joel.reddit.com as places to explore; they'll offer you a trove of links to all kinds of top-quality articles, journals, blogs, and so on.

Hopefully that should get you started. If you have a more specific line of research you're interested in exploring, feel free to ask [smile]

[edit] ... aaand holy bump, Batman!

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ
In fact, risk management in SE is hard to find information on period. It's very poorly understood, and even after over 50 years of creating software, we're still pretty bad at keeping projects moving.

I'm not surprised by this observation; I believe risk management in software engineering is, from a naive point of view, fundamentally equivalent to predicting future and, from a more mature point of view, a pervasive and implicit underlying purpose of most aspects and specialties of software engineering.
Either way, there is little more to say on risk management per se except teaching that everyone must care about the cost of taking risks according to some simple and common-sense economical and probabilistic principles: any further competence is tied to the specific field of designing software, to different kinds of software or to individual projects, and it addresses basic questions with the estimates that allow diligent and informed risk management.
Risk management is hierarchical and pervasively occurs in every decision at every level, from long term plans like whether to open a branch in India or hire at home (would the branch ensure the needed quality and efficiency? How much would it cost?) to instantaneous impulsive decisions like automatically reformatting a source file in the course of editing or not (is the file more likely to be compared after reformatting with newly misaligned previous versions or to be edited enough to be annoying in its current shape?).

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement