• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Humunculus

Kinda topic specific question but i thought i would ask in the beginers forum first.

This topic is 4257 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First of all, hey everyone, nice to finally join gamedev. I am a newbie here and kinda of a n00b still on graphics/gamedev. Trying though. I am doing a project currently, it's nothing big yet and its on JOGL. (I know it is a specific topic but i thought the beginers forum the best place to start anyway). I 've been learning about jogl for some time now (and about java along with it) so i think it is about time i actually do something. Anyway enough with the introductory stuff. What i want to do is read (load) a model that i would extract (in .obj file format) from some 3D graphics programm like blender. something simple at first. I've been looking for a loader class but only found one for Java3D. My question: is there a known way to use this loader to extract data, or a class for use in JoGL? And if not I would like some good advice on writting my own loader (i have looked into the .obj format and understand it, I just want some advice from people who surely know more). Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry if was too tedious in my first post :S

Advertisement
If you understand the file format then it is just a matter of reading the data
and sending it to the pipeline.
Also you can find lots of tutorials about loading obj files, most of them
are in c++, but reading or porting the code to java shouldn't be too difficult.

Cheers.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!