Creating UI in DirectX

Started by
16 comments, last by ext 16 years, 11 months ago
Hey, im looking for some good examples for making some simple UI structures in DirectX like buttons.. I had a look at crazy eddies UI, looks nice but the installation is pretty cryptic. Just thought i would ask what my options are and if anyone knows of any good alternatives/litrature that i could look at to develop my own buttons. Thanks again, Chett
Chett - "I look forward to helping all of you one day, but right now im just a noob learning his way through the perils of game Development."
Advertisement
Hey,

I'm making one for my dissertation and it's all very unofficial at the moment (ie it hasn't been released). It is working but needs tweaking and the documentation is minimal at the minute. However if you want to take a look at some of the code, go to DGUI on Sourceforge.

As i said it is in very early stages and so you will have to download the latest snapshot with SVN. However the code is all there and the distribution is pretty much complete.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Dave
Hi Chett2001,
Have you checked out the DXUT GUI stuff in the DX SDK samples?
Look at the "CustomUI sample" in particular.

Even if the DXUT samples don't suit you ideally, all the source code is there that you can adapt and build on.

HTH,
Cambo_frog
For the love of god, please tell me that you've just omitted your error checking code for brevity, and you don't really assume that all those functions succeed.
Hey Dave, would you please make your library available through anything other than SVN? I'm having trouble figuiring out how to get it. Thanks in advance.
You could try Wintsch Labs, DirectForms Designer 2005. Easy to use and implement GUI system.

DirectForms

I'm currently working on a speed improvement that has already doubled my framerate here and should do much more in a few days when released.

You can download the TechDemo and see what it does pretty easily. CPU usage is high on tech demo due to the render loop type and that it's set to max it out and go for highest possible framerate.

If you don't have office the fonts may be a bit strange. I have to change them back out of office fonts :(

-Devin
Quote:Original post by hikikomori-san
Hey Dave, would you please make your library available through anything other than SVN? I'm having trouble figuiring out how to get it. Thanks in advance.

Sure,

I'll download the latest snapshot and upload it here.

Dave
Here is the link to it. Hope all goes well, if you want to know anything then just PM me or something.

Dave
Cool thanks, i was looking at that earlier downloaded SVN and couldnt figure out how to DL it... Proberbly simple but i was going out so was in a hurry. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions nice to see a number of viable options, ill have a full look tommorow and get back to you guys if i have any questions.
Chett - "I look forward to helping all of you one day, but right now im just a noob learning his way through the perils of game Development."
Quote:Original post by devronious
You could try Wintsch Labs, DirectForms Designer 2005. Easy to use and implement GUI system.

DirectForms

I'm currently working on a speed improvement that has already doubled my framerate here and should do much more in a few days when released.

You can download the TechDemo and see what it does pretty easily. CPU usage is high on tech demo due to the render loop type and that it's set to max it out and go for highest possible framerate.

If you don't have office the fonts may be a bit strange. I have to change them back out of office fonts :(

-Devin

That software looks pretty awesome, the only problem is im using C++ and it seems to be focused around c#.. Thanks for the site though maybe of use in the future. If its one of your own personal projects then i take my hat off to you sir !
Quote:That software looks pretty awesome, the only problem is im using C++ and it seems to be focused around c#.. Thanks for the site though maybe of use in the future. If its one of your own personal projects then i take my hat off to you sir !

Thanks much, I needed that :),

I will have other languages output in the future. C++ being the first. If you would like me to work on it I can put something together for you right after this patch is complete, should be a day or so. Don't know what your timeline is. BTW, Speed gains for the new patch are currrently 4 times the original on the fast system and 15 times on the slow test system. That's in fps.

The system is dot net so that any language can use it, it should be just the code output that needs to be modified to be c++. That shouldn't really take too long I wouldn't think. Unless I'm missing something.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement