• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ssrun

Anyone tried GameTutorials

This topic is 4074 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has tried the product from gametutorials.com. I'm thinking about picking it up but I'd like some feedback on people's experience.

Advertisement
Back when the tutorials where free they weren't that great. They basically consisted of source code with more comments than code. Anything you can find there you can find for free someplace else, it's not worth it.

I also tried the site when it was free.

I liked the quality of the tutorials, but would be more interested in purchasing single tutorials (or tutorial sets) for a reasonable fee ($1-$3 for a tutorial or $6-$8 for a set). The amount of material covered in each tutorial was easy enough to grasp, and built on what is introduced in earlier tutorials.

I also used them when they were free, and I thought they were really good. Because each lesson is all ready to compile, you can play around with the code and figure it out without making a new project every time.

I think scets comment is misguided, because it's basically the tutorial is in comments in the code file. If it gets longer then the actual code, I don't see the problem.

It might be a little steep what they're charging, but I'd definatly keep it as an option. You'll learn a hell of a lot.

I used them back when they were free as well, like Scet. The code was badly written and it was essentially NeHe style but taken even farther -- vast amounts of commenting.

They're certainly not worth paying for, though they were a convenient free resource at times. Not a good resource, but convenient. If you're a copy paste programmer, then you'll probably love it.

Thanks a lot! I might give them a try and let you guys know how I personally find them.

I wonder if they'd be willing to donate a copy to gdnet for review? Certainly a review, if their product is as good as they say it is, would sell them more than a few copies/subscriptions.

Quote:
Original post by smr
I wonder if they'd be willing to donate a copy to gdnet for review? Certainly a review, if their product is as good as they say it is, would sell them more than a few copies/subscriptions.

Good idea! Someone should press them on the issue.

I thought the actuall c/c++ tutorials were alright. But the OpenGL / DirectX tutorials, were basicly just code with little comments, in other words allot of it is worthless :/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!