• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
benryves

[.net] WPF - awful blurry/fuzzy text rendering

This topic is 4134 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I had this problem under .NET 3.0 and now .NET 3.5 (running on XP SP2). Here's one screenshot (from Orcas):
The strange thing is that the text slowly "refocusses". The text only goes blurry when it is moved (so I got that screenshot by scrolling the pane up and down, then hitting Print Screen). An even more obvious example is this one:
This is after clicking the button (so the text moves as the button is clicked). It takes a couple of seconds to return to normal (though the text is never as crisp as the same text under System.Windows.Forms - or indeed any text as normally rendered by ClearType, only under WPF). It's really messing with my eyes; quite painful to try and read with all this text blurring in and out. Any ideas?

Advertisement
Again, I failed to read the full post :( but with the red and greens are you sure it's not cleartype related ? have you tried disabling it to look see ?

I have ClearType enabled, yes. However, every other application displays crisp, clean text; only WPF applications display the mess I posted.

If you look at the top screenshot, you'll notice that "Name: toolTray1" is reasonable (still fuzzier than normal ClearType text, though) but "HorizontalAlignment" is very fuzzy indeed.

Other people have noted this, but I haven't seen any fixes (especially compare these two screenshots).

Could it be a case of WPF is doing some pre/post (probably post) anti-aliasing once the font has rendered ? it looks like some items do have something like that going off. e.Graphics smooth rendering type shinanigans maybe ?

The momentary blurriness after moving text may be this: After animating text, the text seems to pause for 1 second and then render more sharply than before. Why is that?. That post specifically mentions animating text, but I have a feeling it applies to your case as well.

As for the increased bluriness compared to Winforms/GDI+/GDI, it's probably due to subpixel positioning of glyphs. It increases glyph positioning at the expense of uniformity between glyphs; now the same glyph may appear differently depending on its position.

Actually, now that I think about it, the subpixel positioning sounds like a different problem, but it's one that annoys me and maybe others because glyphs all look different.

Quote:
Original post by mutex
That post specifically mentions animating text, but I have a feeling it applies to your case as well.
As do I, mainly appearing on text that moves (scrolling, button being clicked and so on).

Quote:
Actually, now that I think about it, the subpixel positioning sounds like a different problem, but it's one that annoys me and maybe others because glyphs all look different.
That, too, sounds likely. I find the text significantly harder to read under WPF, which I assume is the opposite to what MS are trying to achieve. [sad]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!