How do I create 3D graphics

Started by
3 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 6 months ago
You should definitely learn C++ and gain some general computer knowledge especially the way windows deals with user interaction and of course the graphical subsystem. Also make sure you have a certain knowledge of geometry and general maths.

Without this, gameprogramming will be impossible unless you just copy sources and happen to be lucky if it fits ;-)

Some good books would be convenient. First on C++, then on graphical programming and finally game programming.

Good luck.

-- I'll be back, fear me.
Advertisement
Hi !

1) First learn C and then step over to C++. While in C you have to use procedural programming, in C++ it is object-oriented.

2) When you know C/C++ really well, learn a graphics API, DirectDraw/Direct3D or OpenGL, they're both really good and not that hard to learn.

3) Become familiar with maths, especially linear algebra and analytic geometry, that's important for 3d-programming.

4) You need to write a 3d-engine to create all those nice effects in your game. A 3d-engine is normally an object-loader, a rasterizer and some additional stuff, but these both are the only ones who are really needed.

5) There are some good tools available on the www for creating textures.

• ProMotion
  • Identity Texture
  • Wally
  • Paintshop Pro Shareware

Using this tools, you will be able to create textures with ease.

6) For the models, you need a good modeller. The one used most in the game industry is 3D Studio Max by Kinetix, the problem is, that it costs about 2000$. Some are available as freeware or shareware, for example Blender, Pov-Ray with Moray, ... and some professional cheap ones are Monzoom, Truespace, Cinema4D GO, ...

7) Don't expect to create big engines in the first year, living as a beginner is hard, maybe you will create some Tetris-clone in the first year, your first 3d-engine in the second and a Quake-clone after 5 years.

CU

------------------
    Skullpture Entertainment

• Graphix Coding @Skullpture Entertainmenthttp://www.skullpture.de
    I'm about a year down the line from where you are now. I've just got my fist 3D Maze working with hardware acceleration in D3D. It's really cool, with z-buffering, light sourcing and everything. It's a hell of a long journey from where you are to where you want to be. You need alot of spare time and dedication (and money).
    If you need a C++ book then go out and get a good one. I could recomend Beginning Visual C++ 6 by Ivor Horton, but there are probably a few just as good. Also you'll need Visual C++ 6.0 Standard Edition (£80 Uk - roughly $120 US).
    When you know most of the basics of C++ (you don't need to be a C++ expert) then get a good DirectX book (there are only two actually). Theres Inside DirectX by Microsoft and Windows Game Programming for Dummies. They are both about £20-30 from Amazon. WGPforDummies is a much better tutorial and more for beginners, so I would recomend it. It taught me DDraw and DInput and is much better than Inside DirectX for learning.
    Which ever you get they both come with the DirectX Software Developers Kit version 5, which is obviously a bit out of date but is fine for learning the basics. You should be able to order the DX7 SDK from Microsoft on CD for about £10 in a month or so.
    When you've mastered all that buy Inside Direct3D, which isn't out yet, but is bound to be a great source of D3D info.

Actually, thats the short route. I learned to program 3D in software in Dos, but you don't necessarily need to know how to write your own 3D engine these days. If you want to know the basics I would recommend Building a 3D Game Engine in C++, or The Black Art of 3D Game Programming, but they both require a DOS compiler. Actually, I've never compiled a single program from either, I used the maths and code provided to write my own routines. Also try Computer Graphics (Foley) if you want to learn the maths behind 3D.
    Also I hope you are already quite a whizz at maths (particularly trig and geometry), because it is without doubt a huge advantage. I doubt whether I could have got as far as I have without the maths know-how I already had.
    And good luck!

HI! I am realy new to C++ and game programing. How do I create those 3d pictures of floating hovercrafts and things?
    Also, what programs can I use to create texture. I would like them to be free($0.00)
    Thanks for you help.
    E-mail me at rats@nwoknet.net , or reply
    I disagree with NuFAN's recommendation to learn C before C++.
    If you do this, you will learn procedural habits that may be hard to break when going to C++, and OO is generally agreed upon to be better than procedural. I started with Java, which is madly object oriented and had no problem moving to C++, because I already knew about OO.

------------------
    Visit the homepage of my (soon to be 'net multiplayer) Tank Game at http://members.home.net/chris-man

Visit the homepage of my (soon to be 'net multiplayer) Tank Game at http://members.home.net/chris-man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement