[java] Java disadvantages

Started by
42 comments, last by Luckless 16 years, 11 months ago
OT, but AFAIK, all id Software games starting with glQuake have supported OpenGL. And that means all games based on the QuakeII/QuakeIII/Quake4/Doom3 engines have been using OpenGL aswell. I think you'll find that's a reasonable number of well known games, all being said...
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Simbosan
I would think OpenGL games are as rare as hens-teeth nowadays. I can't remember the last time I had to install OpenGL drivers on a PC. I don't think my current PC has them at all.

And just 'writing a wrapper' for DirectX isn't so straightforward, and has (major?) performance implications.

S

Normally you can't avoid installing OpenGL drivers on a modern system, they are included in the normal driver package if you have a graphics card from AMD/ATI or nvidia.

Most OpenGL games doesn't mention opengl in the system requirements. (They generally use DX version support for the cards instead to avoid confusing the consumers)

Quake4 uses OpenGL but still has
Quote:
3D Hardware Accelerator Card required
100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 64MB
Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers

ATI Radeon 9700
ATI Radeon X300 Series
ATI Radeon X550 Series
ATI Radeon X600 Series
ATI Radeon X700 Series
ATI Radeon X800 Series
ATI Radeon X850 Series
NVIDIA GeForce 3/Ti Series
NVIDIA GeForce 4/Ti Series
NVIDIA GeForce FX Series
NVIDIA GeForce 6 Series
NVIDIA GeForce 7 Series

in its requirements for example.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Quote:Original post by Ahnfelt
Quote:Original post by Christian Weis
That's the point. Most objects only survive for a short period. So why not just place them on the stack. Even if generational GCs can handle them somewhat effectively, they won't do it as good as a stack can. And please note that generational GCs are very complex and therefor hard to maintain and even harder to debug. A stack would be so pretty simple and powerfull.

Actually, blindly allocating on the stack when the object only lives for the duration of a function can be quite ineffective. Consider the following C++ example:
void foo() { MyObject object(); object.doStuff(); while(...) {some long-lasting loop not using object} }
will keep object alive for far longer than it needs to be. Even worse is a recursive function that stack allocates a temporary object before the recursive call, thus filling up the stack with temporary "dead" objects.

But obviously stack allocation can be a speedup when used with care. It's just that it's a burden on the programmer.

Region-based memory management may be the solution, allowing most objects to be statically memory managed with little programmer interference. I haven't read the whole article yet though. Edit: eeeek, it's even more technical than I expected. Maybe I'll wait for the Wikipedia entry ;-)

I'd never sad that object's should be placed on stack blindly. And the example you've presented is correct but only for beginner/unexperienced coders. And stack allocation is not a burden but more an exoneration and more freedom of decision-making.

A GC would free these as soon as they're dead and the memory they take up is needed.

This depends on the implementation of the GC. In fact most GC's does simply nothing but waiting until a given threshold is reached. This threshold is typically 3/4 of available RAM. Generational GCs may jump in more often but the main problem of the GC in Java is:
You cannot know for sure!

Another problem of java is the high memory consumption. Every object in Java is bloated with a bulk of stuff:
- Pointer to its class
- Reflection-cache/data
- Internal statistics/data needed for HotSpot compilation
- Synchronization-objects for GC/lazy loading
- VM internal bull-shit
However there're cases where you can live without the above stuff. But in Java it's impossible to declare some kind of *naked* class.

In theory a HotSpot/JIT-compiler can do much better than a static compiler like in C++, that's true. But in practice it cannot. If you have ever compiled a multi-mio LOC application with all optimizations turned on you know that this takes hours to complete. Just because the compiler spends most of the time (90%-95%) optimizing the code. So how many time do you think has a JIT to compile a class/method in native form? Do you really think that a JIT has enough time to do fency optimizations? In fact a JIT has only few milli-seconds. Maybe some inlining here and there. Maybe some peep-hole optimization. That's it. But no time for heavy time-consuming global optimizations.

cu,
Chris
Quote:Original post by CaptainJester
Quote:Original post by Captain Goatse
I think it is a very bad idea to push this issue down because language X happens to be your favorite language, since in reality it is a issue. I just finished porting some 2d physics code from C++ to Java and I'll have to say I am very disappointed in the pure number crunching performance of Java. With the C++ application I am able to push through 500 objects that consist of a polygon easily, whereas the Java application starts struggling heavily if the number of objects exceeds 100. Same computer, same code, different languages.

And therin lies the problem. You wrote C++ code in Java, that will always take a penalty. When you are writing in a language you have to write in that language, not just copy code over fix the errors and say it's done. Any half decent Java programmer could look at your code and double it's output without breaking a sweat.

Oh please, tell me how do I increase the speed of raw calculation code by utilizing these advanced features of Java? There is only a number of ways you can do x*y. Also thankyou for making useless assumptions on my skills and the skills of the people I work with.
Quote:Original post by Ro_Akira
OT, but AFAIK, all id Software games starting with glQuake have supported OpenGL. And that means all games based on the QuakeII/QuakeIII/Quake4/Doom3 engines have been using OpenGL aswell. I think you'll find that's a reasonable number of well known games, all being said...

For purely 3D graphics yeah, but for everything else, sound, networking, input, it uses DirectX. I also think you will get more dev effort put into D3D drivers than OpenGL but thats just opinion.

Seems to me that Java means OpenGL unless you want to get into writing wrappers. Not via necessity, but just pragmatically.

S
A GC would free these as soon as: (they're dead and the memory they take up is needed).

This depends on the implementation of the GC. In fact most GC's does simply nothing but waiting until a given threshold is reached. This threshold is typically 3/4 of available RAM. Generational GCs may jump in more often but the main problem of the GC in Java is:
You cannot know for sure!

Sorry for being ambigious, see the inserted grouping paranthesis for my intended meaning.

But the point is that until you've eaten up that RAM, you don't really need to free up memory.

Another problem of java is the high memory consumption. Every object in Java is bloated with a bulk of stuff:
- Pointer to its class
- Reflection-cache/data
- Internal statistics/data needed for HotSpot compilation
- Synchronization-objects for GC/lazy loading
- VM internal bull-shit
However there're cases where you can live without the above stuff. But in Java it's impossible to declare some kind of *naked* class.

Apart from the pointer to it's class, I believe all of the above is stored in the class, not in the object. So it's a non-issue.

I'm more worried about the security features of Java, but I need to read up on that.

I can see where you're going with the restrictions on JIT optimization. I wonder if it caches some of the compiled native code on the disk somewhere for next time.
Quote:Original post by CaptainJester
I think it is a very bad idea to push this issue down because language X happens to be your favorite language, since in reality it is a issue. I just finished porting some 2d physics code from C++ to Java and I'll have to say I am very disappointed in the pure number crunching performance of Java. With the C++ application I am able to push through 500 objects that consist of a polygon easily, whereas the Java application starts struggling heavily if the number of objects exceeds 100. Same computer, same code, different languages.

And therin lies the problem. You wrote C++ code in Java, that will always take a penalty. When you are writing in a language you have to write in that language, not just copy code over fix the errors and say it's done. Any half decent Java programmer could look at your code and double it's output without breaking a sweat.

Oh please, tell me how do I increase the speed of raw calculation code by utilizing these advanced features of Java? There is only a number of ways you can do x*y. Also thankyou for making useless assumptions on my skills and the skills of the people I work with.

Oh please, you have a highly complex physic library and all you do is x*y. Bull. That is not useless assumptions, it is fact if you program in one language for a long time, then switch to another, you will not be proficient in immediately. And since you seem to hate Java so much, that usually means no effort is put forth to use it properly.

"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
Quote:Original post by Simbosan
Quote:Original post by Ro_Akira

For purely 3D graphics yeah, but for everything else, sound, networking, input, it uses DirectX.

Actually, if you look at the Quake 3 source, you'll find on Windows that input is handled by Win32 system messages and networking is done via WinSock. While a lot of games do use DirectInput, DirectPlay never really caught on. Most games use WinSock on Windows.

Access to DirectInput is available in Java via the JInput API, which can be used in conjunction with JOGL, and is also used internally by LWJGL. For audio, both JOAL and LWJGL give access to OpenAL (LWJGL also comes with an FMOD binding). For networking, Java has 2 networking APIs (java.net and java.nio).

Quote:I also think you will get more dev effort put into D3D drivers than OpenGL but thats just opinion.

Yes, it is most certainly opinion. OpenGL is used in many, many computer graphics projects, including CAD software and special effects in movies. Games are only a small slice of the overall market. Many such projects rely on consumer-level hardware these days rather than the specialty machines of old. So graphics card vendors who target those markets, such as NVidia, put considerable effort into their OpenGL drivers.

Quote:Seems to me that Java means OpenGL unless you want to get into writing wrappers. Not via necessity, but just pragmatically.

One of the motivations for many people using Java to develop games is to ease cross-platform development. That means OpenGL. The fact that no DirectX binding exists (other than that used internally by Java3D) just means nobody has wanted one badly enough to create it. DirectX is nice is you want to lock yourself in to Windows or increase your code complexity and maintenance overhead by maintaining multiple code paths (such as D3D and OpenGL renderers). When neither of those options is attractive, it's not the best alternative.
If you want to make DirectX games with all the goodies that come with it, and don't mind that your games only run on Windows, you should certainly use C#. I, for one, care enough about other platforms to stick to portable game libraries and Java (or maybe Scala running on the JVM).

On the topic of efficiency, it won't take long to convince me that Java does not optimize number crunching a lot - because I don't care. It's not a problem; just make sure your design allows you to reimplement the bottlenecks in C where it might be needed. That is, when everything works and you want a few extra frames per second or lower cpu usage. Anything else is premature optimization.

As for virtually any hobby coder, he won't need those extra frames per second.
Unfortunately I study Java at uni, I by no means know the language inside out or can put any real comparison between them. I do know however, that I have to participate in an online competition using Java as part of my marks for one of the subjects I am doing... Everytime I run my code I get a "time limit exceeded" error. On the site, Java is given twice as long as any other language to execute but I still can't make the cut. No one else I have spoken to can either... It's a fairly simple and small problem. It takes 0.1 second in my C++ version that is designed exactly the same and over 2 seconds (that is when the limit is exceeded) in Java. Ofcourse that is discounting this 'hot-spot' thing I just read about in here. Either way it annoys the hell out of me.
What we do in life... Echoes in eternity

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement