It's LEGAL to use my site as scenary for a game?

Started by
12 comments, last by BCullis 16 years, 11 months ago
Hi everyone, I'm wondering if it's legal to use my city (Capital Federal, Argentina) as a enviroment for my game; I can get sued? I mean, I saw the texas masacre and I think no one got sued for that, or Roswell; right? It can happens?
Javier Cabrera (Argentina)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------///WOW! FACTOR blog /// Blog for game developers about game industry and games; give it a shoot!
Advertisement
Different cities around the world have different policies. For instance, IIRC, it's ok to use Paris, but it's not ok to destroy monuments at runtime. i.e. you can have a pristine Eiffel tower or a destroyed one but the player cannot see it get destoyed.

The complexity is that there is no uniform copyright law that holds internationally. Different countries have different laws so you have to essentially obey the law of the country whose city you are displaying.

-me
Quote:Original post by Palidine
The complexity is that there is no uniform copyright law that holds internationally. Different countries have different laws so you have to essentially obey the law of the country whose city you are displaying.

-me

Thanks for your answer Palidine!!!! it's of a great help!
Javier Cabrera (Argentina)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------///WOW! FACTOR blog /// Blog for game developers about game industry and games; give it a shoot!
It isn't just the government, it is the buisnesses, the people who own landmark buildings, etc. This is an extremely messy question in general.
the moral of this story is, you can use the layout of a city for your game, just dont destroy anything that can get you in trouble ;)
Using names on the buildings could get you trouble. Mess with the signs so you don't get sued. For instance if a building says, Mc'Donalds, change it to something else.
Quote:Original post by Sirisian
[...]Mess with the signs so you don't get sued.[...]
You can be sued for messing with signs too, so the best answer is "don't do it."
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
You can be sued for messing with signs too, so the best answer is "don't do it."

Wow, talk about ridiculous lawsuits. Fortunately, that case was thrown out rather quickly.
Quote:Original post by lightbringer
Quote:Original post by Extrarius

Wow, talk about ridiculous lawsuits. Fortunately, that case was thrown out rather quickly.
Maybe so, but you still need lawyers to argue that the case should be thrown out and you don't get a free one for civil law cases.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
That spiderman billboard is completely different idea than what I meant. I mean do what a lot of games do. You make a city that looks like the real thing but every building is around the same purpose just different. So like instead of the Mc'Donald arches you might have a W and call it Wc'Burger or something almost completely different but with the same role. I think GTA did this sometimes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement