print OUTFILE '';
        print OUTFILE $_, " ",  #suppress new line

}
}

if($m_rows != $row_counter)
{
    print "Row counter and specified rows do not match. Corrupt output\n";
}

Am running it under active perl on windows. Anyways, this generates this gimpy output:

11 2
Which isn't quite what I had in mind! I've stepped using a debugger, and nothing jumped out at me (ie variables setting to zero early as I suspected was the case). Any help would be much appreciated! Cheers
Advertisement
I'm not familiar enough with perl to know how that is supposed to suppress the newline. I would try running then through a trim function to remove the newline character that was present in the original file and manually specifying the newline ("\n") when appropriate.
According to here the , after the print suppressed the newline.
But you have a newline that was copied from the original document.

source.txt

is actually
source.txt
1\n2\n3\n4\n

So when you get the first line, $_ == "1\n". The , will prevent the print statement from adding it's own newline character, it won't remove the one present in the string.
as someone who has to take care of an ancient perl system I'm not too happy about your $_ usage... its much much better with named variables... anyway, your problem is that you dont increment the column after each output, also to get rid of the newline confusion I chomp:ed the string right away.

#!/usr/bin/perl -wuse strict;my $m_cols=5;my $m_rows=3;my $row_counter=0;my $col_counter=0;open(INFILE, "< dem.txt") or die "Can't open the infile";     #read in from filewhile(my $input = <INFILE>) {    chomp($input);    print $input, " ";    $col_counter++;     if ($col_counter >= $m_cols) {        $col_counter = 0;        $row_counter++;        print "\n";    }}if($m_rows != $row_counter){    print "Row counter and specified rows do not match. Corrupt output\n";}

EDIT: or maybe I just got confused hacking at the code. it might just have been the chomp that was missing.
Yeah, chomp not trim. Apparently there is no trim function. [crying]
@tstrimp: yes sorry, was being silly! Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
EDIT: or maybe I just got confused hacking at the code. it might just have been the chomp that was missing.

The chomp and putting the , after print made '0's apear everywhere :S

Anyways, thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Works all nice and fancy now...

The file I have to parse is 16mb and 2.5 million lines long...wonder how well perl will handle that?

Cheers
yeah, its sorely missed. I think most perl coders end up writing their own though ;)
chomp is a bit different though, it only kills trailing line breaks.

Anways, perl is a pestilence and will forever screw up your coding. it just makes it too easy to do bad things, and so hard to do good... do yourself a favor and write whatever it is you need in a better language like Ruby or Python... perl makes me feel dirty just thinking about it. (sorry, couldn't resist a perl-bashing)
Quote:
The file I have to parse is 16mb and 2.5 million lines long...wonder how well perl will handle that?

shouldnt be a problem since you only read a line at a time. Is it something time-critical that needs to be done many times, or just a one-off?
it's parsing a DEM file, so once ever blue moon. Took 5-10sec to parse.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement