Sign in to follow this  
asdqwe

resources for learning VC++ IDE

asdqwe    100
Please tell me of some good books/sites/etc.. that introduce a newbie in how to find your way thru MS Visual C++ (2002/2003 but 6.0 also). To explain things like how to add Include/Lib directories, Options, Project Properties and generally explain the GUI/IDE. BUT: -beginner-level -no MSDN help (most unhelpful help ever) Thanks.

Nytegard    839
I use to be like you, and think MSDN was the most unhelpful thing ever. The more and more I learned, all of the sudden I found MSDN to be the most helpful thing ever.

As far as general issues, a beginners course at a community college can help, as you'll have an instructor that will be there for you, other people with similar skill levels will also be there, and the instructor will probably go over tricks that books generally won't cover.

For learning the IDE, your best bet is a Visual Studio for Idiots/Dummies/21 days book. Not great, but somewhat helpful for learning the IDE until you can traverse the MSDN documentation.

synth_cat    306
A book would be a good way to gain an initial "general" knowledge of this kind of thing.

But, in all seriousness, almost any specific question can be answered on this site. As proof, just look at all the VC++-problem threads I have posted in the past.

Tom L    128
Ive read the visual studio 2005 for dummies book, and thats helped me out with the Ide, and my debugging.

i'd recommend it if you just want to learn the way around the interface.