Product placement in a game

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 16 years, 11 months ago
I'm writing a game that's centered around a sport. The players will attempt to choose the correct brand-name equipment to achieve a high score. It will be fun, but may also evolve into a sim for choosing equipment for real-life. When product placement is used in a game, are deals usually worked out before or after the game is working and nearly complete? I would like the game to be free for players, but get some revenue from the sports equipment manufacturers. Please tell me your thoughts on this. Thanks.
Advertisement
Any small or unknown company will end up paying to use the brand name, not the other way around.

These deals are worked on quite some time in advance, and they involve a whole lot of lawyers. Sponsorships and product placement contracts take a lot of time to negotiate, draft, finalize, and execute.

If you can guarantee a certain number of eyeballs for a certain amount of time then you might be able to negotiate a better deal, but even then you may end up paying money out to the brand with the expectation of better sales and cross-marketing.
Quote:Original post by deepsender
I'm writing a game that's centered around a sport. The players will attempt to choose the correct brand-name equipment to achieve a high score.
Brand name = trademark. You can't use someone else's trademark without their prior permission and when it is to be used for commercial purposes that almost always requires that you pay.

Quote:When product placement is used in a game, are deals usually worked out before or after the game is working and nearly complete?
In advance - the publisher has to convince the company that there will be enough units sold to make it worth their while "advertising" in the game/film. It is easy for the makers of James Bond movies to attract product placement revenue because they can prove how popular their films are. Likewise EA can demonstrate how popular FIFA etc are (and how many millions EA will be spending to advertise it). Unless you can demonstrate the same these companies simply aren't going to be interested. The legal fees alone for doing the licensing deal would run to tens of thousands of dollars.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Thanks for the great info.

When you place a company's ad on your website, do you pay them?

I would be looking for support from the manufacturers similar to web site support. They would be like sponsors.

I think I'll build the game with generic sports equipment. If the competitors in this small niche sport enjoy playing with it, and find it helpful, they'll ask me to simulate the different brands of actual equipment. Then, I'll contact the manufacturers. If they never ask, it'll stay generic.
If a company places an ad on your site then they would (normally) pay you. However, again, they would do this based on your ability to prove a worthwhile level of traffic. The point of advertising isn't to support small indie businesses, it is to get your ad seen by as many potential customers as possible (for as little money as possible). If you build the product and it is successful then you would have a good basis to go looking for advertisers/sponsors. You would likely need to start small and work up (Nike would be unlikely to jump on board until you can show big numbers).

In the mean time look into Google ads. You won't earn much (if anything) but they are easy to implement and may generate some small revenue in the early days.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Dee wrote:
>When you place a company's ad on your website, do you pay them?

Dan replied:
>If a company places an ad on your site then they would (normally) pay you. However, again, they would do this based on your ability to prove a worthwhile level of traffic.

Just to make sure the main point isn't obscured here, Dee: YOU don't place a company's ad on your site, then ask them for permission and/or payment - THEY place an ad on your site, only after you approach them and they agree.

Make sure to always put the horse BEFORE the cart.
Tom

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement