Sign in to follow this  
hypnotoad

Language Selection

hypnotoad    122
Ok, so over the years I have become pretty proficient in GML (woo...) and I want to start learning a more solid/flexible creation language. I know BASIC and Visual BASIC, anything past that I am clueless on. I know a lot about how code works and all of that jazz, I just need something to work with. C++ is a very big language to learn. I heard Java is good, and I have been reading a bit about it. What would be a good language to learn for a beginner like me? Coding is a hobby of mine, I really enjoy just messing around but I want to start doing something useful with it. EDIT: Changed thread title to something more appropriate. - Kaz. [Edited by - Kazgoroth on May 4, 2007 10:26:05 AM]

kiome    229
I consider C# being a good beginner's language and once you know a little about the .Net Framework it becomes a highly productive and efficient tool.
It will help you produce applications in a very quick manner and, with the introduction of the XNA Framework, you will also be able to produce games easily.

Python would be my second choice and I also vote against Java.
C++ is a different story, I would never tell anyone not to learn it. This language is quite complex though and needs years of dedication to become proficient at it therefore it is not best suited for a beginner.

hypnotoad    122
This is the second time I have heard someone mention C#, the other time being on another forum. On that same forum someone mention Python(pygame) and it was said to be a useless and bloated language. From what I see in the tutorials and examples, this doesn't seem to be true.

I am leaning towards Python and I think I may start reading up on it today.

jbadams    25712
Quote:
Original post by hypnotoad
On that same forum someone mention Python(pygame) and it was said to be a useless and bloated language. From what I see in the tutorials and examples, this doesn't seem to be true.
The person or people who told you that were grossly misinformed. Check out the Quotes about Python page to read what some more knowledgable people who make use of Python think.

As an aside, C# would also be a good choice, but as you're already leaning towards Python I'd say just stick with it, it's an excellent language.

hypnotoad    122
Now when you say Python, do you mean Python or its offshoot, Pygame? What language should I learn? I should definately learn both, but what should I start with?

jbadams    25712
Python is the language and is where you should start. PyGame is a Python library (i.e. a collection of pre-existing code) which provides some functionality which is useful for games. When you use PyGame you're writing Python code and making use of pre-written functions provided by someone else.

If you were using C or C++ as your language you might use the SDL or DirectX libraries to provide drawing/input capabilities among other things; PyGame fulfils the same role in Python (and is actually a Python wrapper for the SDL library [wink]).

Sneftel    1788
Pygame is not a separate language from Python. It is a software development kit which uses Python as its language.

EDIT: *shakes fist*

Ezzaral    122
I'll go against the flow and throw in a vote for Java =) Though I think C# and Python are also valid suggestions. I wouldn't even waste time on VB.net - just go with C# if you want to get into the .net stuff.

hypnotoad    122
Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Pygame is not a separate language from Python. It is a software development kit which uses Python as its language.

I see. Well, everything seems pretty fleshed out now, I just need one more question answered:

Does the end user have to download any separate program to get the games to work, or can he/she just download the game itself?

Quote:
Original post by hypnotoad
Quote:
Original post by Sneftel

I see. Well, everything seems pretty fleshed out now, I just need one more question answered:

Does the end user have to download any separate program to get the games to work, or can he/she just download the game itself?

PyGame uses SDL, and you can compile your python source files into an exe with something like py2exe, so users should be able to just download and run.