Language Selection

Started by
15 comments, last by load_bitmap_file 16 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by hypnotoad
On that same forum someone mention Python(pygame) and it was said to be a useless and bloated language. From what I see in the tutorials and examples, this doesn't seem to be true.
The person or people who told you that were grossly misinformed. Check out the Quotes about Python page to read what some more knowledgable people who make use of Python think.

As an aside, C# would also be a good choice, but as you're already leaning towards Python I'd say just stick with it, it's an excellent language.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Advertisement
Now when you say Python, do you mean Python or its offshoot, Pygame? What language should I learn? I should definately learn both, but what should I start with?
Python is the language and is where you should start. PyGame is a Python library (i.e. a collection of pre-existing code) which provides some functionality which is useful for games. When you use PyGame you're writing Python code and making use of pre-written functions provided by someone else.

If you were using C or C++ as your language you might use the SDL or DirectX libraries to provide drawing/input capabilities among other things; PyGame fulfils the same role in Python (and is actually a Python wrapper for the SDL library [wink]).

- Jason Astle-Adams

Pygame is not a separate language from Python. It is a software development kit which uses Python as its language.

EDIT: *shakes fist*
I'll go against the flow and throw in a vote for Java =) Though I think C# and Python are also valid suggestions. I wouldn't even waste time on VB.net - just go with C# if you want to get into the .net stuff.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Pygame is not a separate language from Python. It is a software development kit which uses Python as its language.

I see. Well, everything seems pretty fleshed out now, I just need one more question answered:

Does the end user have to download any separate program to get the games to work, or can he/she just download the game itself?
Quote:Original post by hypnotoad
Quote:Original post by Sneftel

I see. Well, everything seems pretty fleshed out now, I just need one more question answered:

Does the end user have to download any separate program to get the games to work, or can he/she just download the game itself?

PyGame uses SDL, and you can compile your python source files into an exe with something like py2exe, so users should be able to just download and run.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement