Language Selection

Started by
15 comments, last by load_bitmap_file 16 years, 11 months ago
Ok, so over the years I have become pretty proficient in GML (woo...) and I want to start learning a more solid/flexible creation language. I know BASIC and Visual BASIC, anything past that I am clueless on. I know a lot about how code works and all of that jazz, I just need something to work with. C++ is a very big language to learn. I heard Java is good, and I have been reading a bit about it. What would be a good language to learn for a beginner like me? Coding is a hobby of mine, I really enjoy just messing around but I want to start doing something useful with it. EDIT: Changed thread title to something more appropriate. - Kaz. [Edited by - Kazgoroth on May 4, 2007 10:26:05 AM]
Advertisement
I reccomend against Java, and for Python.
Quote:
What would be a good language to learn for a beginner like me?

Anything but C++.
Another vote for Python
As mentioned, Python is pretty good. You can find links to a bunch of good resources here. I particularly liked How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python when I was getting started with the language.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by Telastyn
Anything but C++.

Now you tell me XD.
##########################################################You'll have time to rest when you're dead - Robert De Niro
As you have some VB experience you might want to take a look at VB.Net.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
How about freebasic?
http://www.freebasic.net/forum/index.php
Hi.
I consider C# being a good beginner's language and once you know a little about the .Net Framework it becomes a highly productive and efficient tool.
It will help you produce applications in a very quick manner and, with the introduction of the XNA Framework, you will also be able to produce games easily.

Python would be my second choice and I also vote against Java.
C++ is a different story, I would never tell anyone not to learn it. This language is quite complex though and needs years of dedication to become proficient at it therefore it is not best suited for a beginner.
My Blog
This is the second time I have heard someone mention C#, the other time being on another forum. On that same forum someone mention Python(pygame) and it was said to be a useless and bloated language. From what I see in the tutorials and examples, this doesn't seem to be true.

I am leaning towards Python and I think I may start reading up on it today.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement