whats sdk?

Started by
5 comments, last by TheAdmiral 16 years, 11 months ago
do i need it im new to programming so im unsure
Advertisement
it stands for Software Development Kit. An example would be Java SDK. You can download it from the Sun Java site. Basically, and SDK is all you need to write software for a certain programming language. It depends on what language you're writing in.
It's a generic term like "box". Basically they are packages of code that someone else has written to allow you to use certain things. Examples: Java, certain features of windows, WebCams, some 3D stuff, certain audio features, etc.

Most likely you do not need any SDKs. Also, please read the Forum FAQ. It has a lot of the information you're likely looking for.

-me
so all i need is microsoft visual c++ to make a 2d and eventually 3d game?
Not entirely, you'll also need some kind of graphical library if you intend to have any visuals aside from text in a console window, but for now I wouldn't worry about that. And 3d is a whole different problem all together. Not your immediate concern, though :)

Later on you'll want to look into SDL as it might be a good step into graphics, but you seem to bite off more than you can chew with the learning process as your many (many) questions seem to indicate. For having just written a math problem solver and a hello world program, you shouldn't be concerned with the graphical side of things until you're more comfortable just tooling around in your language of choice.

I would relate you currently to a student who's just completed their first lecture in "intro to Biology" and is asking the professor about the finer points of brain surgery. You can be told specific answers, but you don't have enough under your belt to be able to do anything with the info. Relax and take the time to learn as you go :)

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

oh i know i have a long way to go. just wondering what sdk was
thanx
I don't mean to be rude, but you're starting to test people's patience with all the new threads. Genuine concerns are fine when your resources are exhausted, but Google and Wikipedia should be at the top of the agenda, when applicable.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about SDKs.

Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement