• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
m09868

?

This topic is 4040 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok this is my code // If statements.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console application. #include <iostream> using namespace std; int main() { int age; cout<<"Please input your age: "; cin>> age; cin.ignore(); if ( age < 100 ) { cout<<"You are pretty young!\n"; } else if ( age == 100 ) { cout<<"You are old\n"; } else { cout<<"You are really old\n"; } cin.get(); } #include "stdafx.h" int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[]) { return 0; } as most of you know im new and there are no errors. but when i use the debug feature it doesnt say anything when it is supposed to say an answer. how do i make it show up? i use microsoft visual c++

Advertisement
First of all, please choose better names for your topics. A question mark doesn't make a good title.

Secondly, use the [source] [/source] tags to format your code.

And last but not least you seem to have two main functions in your code. Remove the one that contains return 0;

I'll assume you're using visual studio.

Select File->new->project

Select Win32 Console App and type in a name

A wizard should pop up click next

On this page make sure that you

CHECK "Empty Project"

UNCHECK "Precompiled Headers"

Then click finish

This should make a project without any of the Visual Studio default stuff

Now select File->new->file

Select C++ file and type in a name.

This will give you a totally empty cpp file.

Type the code you posted in there up until the #include "stdafx.h"

That should work

What I've walked you through is creating a truly empty project. If you aren't careful Visual Studio enables several things that can mess up simple projects like precompiled headers and the unicode/ansi _t macros. A truly empty project should avoid most of those pitfalls

do i use #include "stdafx.h"?
and now it says it wont be built. there are no error reports though.

my new code

// If statements.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console application.
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
int age;

cout<<"Please input your age: ";
cin>> age;
cin.ignore();
if ( age < 100 ) {
cout<<"You are pretty young!\n";
}
else if ( age == 100 ) {
cout<<"You are old\n";
}
else {
cout<<"You are really old\n";
}
cin.get();
}

#include "stdafx.h"

Everything that begins with '#' is a C preprocessor directive and should placed outside of and before the main() function, usually the first few lines of your code.

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
return 0;
}

...etc

also I notice in your code you haven't returned 0 at the end of your int main(), it's not vital but it is good c++ practise.

Quote:
Original post by Orrill
also I notice in your code you haven't returned 0 at the end of your int main(), it's not vital but it is good c++ practise.

According to the standard main implicitly returns 0 in the absence of any other return statement - so one might consider that the more idiomatic way of doing things in c++

@m09868 If you followed my directions and have an empty project without precompiled headers then DON'T include stdafx.h - it's a precompiled header and you don't want/need it

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!