• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Falken42

trouble with operator - (pointer)

This topic is 4065 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, Given the following code:
class A
{
public:
	void func();
};

class B
{
private:
	A *a;

public:
	A *operator ->()
	{
		return a;
	}
};

Trying to do:
B *b; b->func();
results in a compile error under VS2005 ('func' is not a member of 'B'), but:
B *b; (*b)->func();
works fine. Is there something I'm missing that will allow me to transparently access the members of class A from class B?

Advertisement
Yes, that indeed works, but it's not what I want. :)

I guess what I'm trying to do isn't possible?

Quote:
Yes, that indeed works, but it's not what I want.
How about this?
b->operator->()->func();
:)

Seriously though, I think (*b)->func() is really what you're looking for. It seems your intent is to give B the semantics of a pointer type, in which case writing (*b)-> is both appropriate and idiomatic.

Or are we misunderstanding what you're trying to do?

Quote:
Original post by bpoint
Is there something I'm missing that will allow me to transparently access the members of class A from class B?

There is nothing you can do. The static type of your variable b is B*. Dereferencing a B* does not yield a type with a function func().

There's a special rule for operator->() in which it will continue to be applied to its own result until a raw pointer is reached (the standard words it a little differently, but that's the intent and the end result). Problem is, here, that B* is already a raw pointer, so that rule doesn't apply.

As mentioned above, if you had a B object the rule would apply and your object would work like a smart pointer. As you have it now, you've got a dumb pointer to a smart pointer. No matter how you dress it up, you're never going to make a dumb pointer act smart.

So, either provide some sort of explicit accessor function, provide forwarding functions, or use your smart pointer class in a more idiomatic manner.

--smw

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!