Sign in to follow this  
Sindharta Tanuwijaya

Getting the value of a texel

Hi, I am trying to implement a "reduce" method, a simple GPU method to calculate a single value from all texel values in a texture, for example their maximum value, minimum value, etc. After I do some rendering to smaller texture recursively until the width of the target texture became 1, I am wondering how I can get the value of the only texel in that texture so that I'll be able to use it in my application? Thanks in advance. Sindharta T.

Hm, I am quite new to this "rendering to a texture" process, so based on my textbook, I am using ID3DXRenderToSurface to render to a texture.
I checked around, and perhaps just like what you had mind, I found out that it is also possible to render to a texture by using IDirect3DDevice9::SetRenderTarget.
Do you have any opinion which one is more efficient? Or if they are just the same?

In any case, I succeeded in finding the color, but it seems that the code is too long, because I have to create a new texture. It seems that I can't get the DC from the texture directly because it is not D3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC. I also tried to assign D3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC to my target texture directly but it failed.
I included my code below, so please tell me if you have some comments.

Sindharta T.

-------------------------

HRESULT hr;
IDirect3DSurface9* top_surface = 0;
m_pTexture->GetSurfaceLevel(0,&top_surface);

//get the surface format
D3DSURFACE_DESC surface_desc;
m_pTexture->GetLevelDesc(0,&surface_desc);

//create temporary texture
IDirect3DTexture9* texture;
hr = D3DXCreateTexture(m_pD3DDevice,m_iTextureWidth,m_iTextureHeight,0,D3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC,D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8,D3DPOOL_DEFAULT,&texture);
IDirect3DSurface9* temp_surface = 0;
texture->GetSurfaceLevel(0,&temp_surface);

D3DXLoadSurfaceFromSurface(temp_surface,NULL,NULL,top_surface,NULL,NULL,D3DX_DEFAULT,0);

HDC dc = 0;
hr = temp_surface->GetDC(&dc);

COLORREF col = GetPixel(dc,iX,iY);
BYTE r = GetRValue(col);
BYTE g = GetGValue(col);
BYTE b = GetBValue(col);

temp_surface->ReleaseDC(dc);
SAFE_RELEASE(temp_surface);
SAFE_RELEASE(texture);
SAFE_RELEASE(top_surface);