Project evolution

Started by
1 comment, last by yoshscout 16 years, 11 months ago
Isn't it cool how projects evolve. Check out this. I started in windows GDI on my most recent project trying to make a spin off of the ever so popular shining force series from there genesis versions. With screen shots from an emulator I ripped some tiles and made basic 2d tile engine. Even had an npc walk around just as observed from the emulator, and you could talk to him like your basic 2d genesis rpg(just like the game). Found someone who had managed to rip the entire character set and decided to connect it to a server. Built the server and noticed it was a pretty good basis for a MMORPG. Started combat engine and decided to go 3d shortly there after. Dropped windows gdi and went directx. Dropped in GUI classes that import GUI from XML and started building scripting engine that is callable from GUI XML. Decided that reusability would be perfect for all of this code because it is truely shaping up to be a massive foundation for a game to be built upon that i can use in further projects. Seperated engine code and networking engine. Isn't that a wild sway in direction? 3 complete rebuilds as well. From GDI to DirectX haha.
Advertisement
It can be cool if you're working for fun.

It's a complete disaster of apocalyptic dimensions if anything remotely related to this happens to a project with hard deadline.
yah i know exactly what your talking about. i have only done contract deals for web developement and got paid there. when the client keeps changing their mind on what they want its a nightmare.

but it is pretty sweet when you get down to it if it is your own project. i dont think i intended to make a mmorpg chasing high end graphics on white papers when i sat down and started the project. it was suppossed to be a players chance to relive the exciting strategy battles of one of my fave genesis games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement