Story/Game securityand protection

Started by
3 comments, last by Tom Sloper 16 years, 11 months ago
I posted a while back that I was writing a game, and what methods I should use. Now the question is about ceative rights. The gaming business, as any other business, has it's share of shady characters. I feel some what scare to show my ideas to someone, and then realize down the road that "hey, that looks just like my idea". I was just wondering what I can do to prevent creative theft. I want to improve on my ideas, but I dont whant some lowlife to gain on my work. Any sugestions?
Advertisement
The act of writing up the story gives it your implicit copyright. But, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Everything under the sun has been done before, and half of your story is probably influenced and or taken from other stories, so don't feel too bad about others letting their work by influenced by your ideas.
william bubel
I know my idea is probably had some form of variations, but you cant help but feel exposed to people taking your work for granted. Im not a great novelist o super game designer, but I still believe my game is somewhat unique, and I would like to keep it secure untill is ready. I was just hoping for some insight on what guidelines to follow.
Dont be too worried about it, I think.

The general advice I've seen is that most people won't want your idea. Its not that the idea might not be good, or even brilliant, but rather nearly everyone in the games industry is just as much a creativly minded type as yourself.

Very, very few people other than Indie developers get a chance to actually have their own ideas made into full fledged games, be they game ideas or story ideas. Most people dont get the chance to make the game they most want to make, let alone needing to steal someone else's.

Stuck in between franchises, sequels, market-research driven ideas, etc, there are more than enough ideas already floating around that stealing an idea with even implicit copyright protection is rarely an issue.
Quote:Original post by perrozaI would like to keep it secure untill is ready. I was just hoping for some insight on what guidelines to follow.

Very simple. Don't tell it or send it to anyone.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement