• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

undoing a drawImage

This topic is 3950 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a way to undo a drawImage in Java so that the screen only shows what was there right before? Right now my game is really simple so I can just draw a big white rectangle where the image was and then move the image over. However, I don't think this will suffice in the long run. What do you suggest the best method for this is? Thanks even if you don't have any suggestions for java in particular, I would like to hear how you would do this with another language so I can get ideas.

Advertisement
The general way of doing this is with double buffering. The entire screen is rendered to a buffer. Then you just replace the current screen with the contents of the buffer. Then you clear the back-buffer and start drawing to that. Your graphics hardware can do this automatically by just passing a couple parameters in the setup (assuming you're using some graphics library to draw).

If you're writing a software renderer you'll have to implement this by hand.

-me

Hmm, well I'm just starting to teach myself so that was alot of big vocabulary I haven't learned yet :D

I know i'm using swing. Is that a graphics library?

Swing is a GUI toolkit, like Gtk+, Qt and wxWidgets (although those are all C/C++ - I'm not aware of any other Java toolkits ignoring AWT). Basically a GUI toolkit gives you a library of common user interface elements like menus, buttons, textboxes and lots of others.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement