Creating text based games in C++?

Started by
4 comments, last by jesse007 16 years, 11 months ago
I had two questions 1) If I just finished an intro course on C++, is that enough to start developing a text based game using C++? I was thinking of a small RPG style or even a choose your own adventure type game 2) Where can I find tutorials on making text based games? What concepts should I be very good at in order to make this happen? Ok, so it was 3 questions Thanks
Advertisement
This should help

Wrath Lands Text based RPG Tutorials

Hope that is what your looking for.

Chad.

Thank You :)
You should consider making a rogue-like. You can use pdcurses and bang something together fairly quickly.
Quote:Michael TanczosCut that shit out. You shouldn't be spying on other people.. especially your parents. If your dad wanted to look at horses having sex with transexual eskimo midgets, that's his business and not yours.
Cool, thanks
I took a look at Wetlands or whatever it is called and it was hard to se what he was doing in his vids, so let me try this other suggestion.
Another possibility is doing card game stuff using text. For purposes of putting together a game engine, you can temporarily use codes \005, \006, \x03, and \004 to represent the four different suit symbols.

I'm thinking about slapping together some card games myself and then using a card library based on SDL to display the graphics. Take a look at the library Drac at http://drac-cardlib.sourceforge.net/ for an example.

Jesse
Good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement