Horde3D [0.10.0] released

Started by
7 comments, last by phi@pyropix 16 years, 11 months ago
Since I have a strange problem when submitting a news item, I want to let you know here that a new version of Horde3D was recently published. The new version features a flexible rendering pipeline with XML configurable render targets and commands which makes it possible to use forward or deferred shading or a combination of both. Furthermore it is also possible now to do a plenty of post processing effects like HDR, DOF and similar. A .NET version for the latest release is also available for download. For more information please visit www.nextgen-engine.net marciano
Advertisement
keep it up!
Very cool, I'll check it out! :)
Can this be used for games?
Thanks for your comments!

It is a pure graphics engine like Ogre but it can definately be used for making games. We ourselves have used it for two games. One indie network project where you fly with armed gliders through canyons and one game at the university where you run with high speed and real body motion (a bit like eyetoy but much more advanced) through a fully crowded city and find people. The latter one was shown at the CeBit and several other expositions and people loved it :)

Of course there are some types of games for which the engine is better suited. Since all the lighting is dynamic and there are no precalculated BSP trees a game which has mainly indoor scenes with corridors like Quake isn't its strength. But for a GTA or Halo like game with a wide city or landscape and even with many people walking around Horde is very well suited.

Hi.

Had a quick look on your engine and samples. Looks very good
indeed. Interesting project. I also do like your intention to
write a lightweight and conceptually clean engine.

Keep us informed with updates and future plans please.
So long,Mr.E
Is the .NET wrapper compatible with mono?
@Mr E: I'm glad to hear that :)

@simply: I'm not quite sure because I haven't written the wrapper myself, but since it is just a thin wrapper around the Horde dlls I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work. BTW, Horde is currently only compatible with Windows although it should be pretty easy to port to other platforms.
@simply: I have used Mono's Migration analyzer (MoMA) and confirm marciano's assumption. The Horde3D .NET wrapper is basically compatible with Mono. However the Horde3D.dll is written in native Win32 code. So Platform Invoke calls are required and this means no platform independency. See http://www.mono-project.com/MoMA_-_Issue_Descriptions for your convenience.

Unfortunately, mono-1.2.3 does not support all classes/methods used in Chicago .NET. For example the Stopwatch-Class is on Mono's to-do list. This class represents a high performance timer and is necessary to calculate the exact frames per second. I am going to compile Chicago.NET with Mono and test if functionality is really missing or can probably be ignored.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement