Sign in to follow this  
ajm113

[web] Ok, I have made a emailer using mysql/PHP whats next?

ajm113    355
I made my first newsletter script that emails users of new Blender 3d plugins here. I am using PHP and Mysql. What else should I try? I was thinking more like create a blog using PHP/Mysql, but I think thats a bit hard. Any sujestions?

markadrake    104
Though that may just be too big of a step, it's really not a difficult process.

A blog requires a database to hold posts.

Table Name: Posts
The fields could be the date, the title of the post, the contents of the post, and perhaps a view count.

Build a front-end that displays the latest "post" and to the side displays the title of every post before it. Each time a post is viewed you should update the count field.

Build a backend that allows you to add a post to the database.

That's good practice. Point is, put it to use. You can do a lot of neat things. I personally devoted a section of my own website to my personal calendar/phone book/note field. You could start with things like that. A good book on PHP / MySSQL and web sites is: Core Web Application Development with PHP and MySQL.

deadimp    310
[General design process]
I would suggest a 'modular' approach, not meaning anything uselessly massive, but something that cuts down on repetition while still being easy to understand/maintain/manipulate/augment/etc, and so on. If you haven't looked into OOP in PHP, or OOP at all for that case, I would suggest it. Not meaning that you should use OOP in every part of your site -- heck no. But when it fits in place, it does so nicely [according to how you made it, of course]. Be sure you know your langauge[s], too, and how to simplify processes, et cetera.

If you have a general design process, then you can easily add a blog/forum/whatever you choose, or whatever you're able to do/find.

Not sure if it'll really help much, but here are some of the resources that I use:
Mozilla Firefox - Kinda obvious
Microsft Software Developer Network
Apache Friends: Home of XAMPP server - Use it as my test server (so I can edit/view the files directly on my computer, etc)
PHP: Hypertext Processor
PSPad Freeware Editor
MySQL: Open source Database Framework
SQLyog: Open source MySQL GUI
W3Schools Online Web Tutorials: HTML, CSS, and more
css Zen Garden: The Beauty in CSS Design
A List Apart
Note that the MySQL link isn't to the developer zone, just the main site.
And as for the various tutorials (namely for PHP), there's always Google for that (and everything else).