• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

New PC buying help

This topic is 3910 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ever since building my last three systems I claimed that I would never buy a prebuilt system again. Then I found an online store (cyberpowerpc) that has prices competitive with buying parts from Newegg (which was still $50 cheaper). So I'll probably buy a pre-built system even though I won't get every thing my way I won't the hassle of being responsible for incorrect assembly, shipping on DOA parts (hopefully), or incompatible parts (did that twice but I was young and foolish). However, even then I still have some issues that I need help on 1) I am not a hardcore gamer, so I don't need the fastest system and I refuse to pay for one (not that I can't afford it). However, I do want to play a few FPS's and MMORPG's. That leaves me split between a GeForce 8500 (why is this one cheaper) and a GeForce 7600. What card should I get? 2) Windows Visa seems to be full of bugs, yet if I get it new system it seems silly not to get Vista preloaded. How do I avoid getting burned by Vista's bugs? Should I reconsider XP? 3) Since I'm addicted to programming I can never have enough screen space, so those sub $400 22" widescreen LCD's are tempting me. Unfortunately Newegg reviews (yes, I take those with plenty of salt thank you) often have comments like "good given it's cheap price." That makes me wonder, what is a "good" monitor? I usually look at contrast (skeptically, since they are inconsistent), brightness, GTG response time (2-5ms is the goal), and refresh rate. View angles are less important to me because I sit in front of the pc, not beside it. On a side note, I'm no longer there (view from a Black Hawk) anymore. Which is also why I am so far out of the loop on PC's right now.

Advertisement
NVM... I bought it anyway, haven't got the monitor yet though.

[Edited by - T1Oracle on May 7, 2007 8:09:07 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement