water edges

Started by
4 comments, last by J_M_S 16 years, 11 months ago
well ive got some problems with the areas where my terrain and water meets... i want to avoid an unnatural edge between the two.. right now i have the refraction amount decrease with lower depths.. which solved the edge problem.. however u cant really see where the water starts and where it ends... and reflection wont help out since the water is transparent close to the camera due to fresnel effects... ive been thinking about foam or sea weed or something... suggestions? anyone got a real world pic illustrating this? Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us [Edited by - Dragon_Strike on May 4, 2007 3:19:40 PM]
Advertisement
I've got this on my TODO list as well. I've been thinking of using a mesh generated from terrain edge detection / depth information and animating it with foamy type textures + wave like movement.... but I haven't gone too far in trying this. I'd very like to hear about then method you choose to implement.
Blah....
Sure, you could of course add foam but would that really be realistic. I would primarily try two things. First would be to make a darken mask over the area covered by water. Secondly try and remove some of the specularity of the land (if possible). Another thing you could try would be too increasing the refraction more quickly (by changing the depth factor). I’m not entirely sure if a sharpen edge should be apparent, perhaps it’s better if it’s diffuse.

I would just like to say that I really love your water, especially the waves looks very nice.

This picture show the lesser specularity on the ground I was talking about.
http://www.galleri.andeoliv.com/lake3a.jpg

This picture show the darker (in this case because of mud)
http://privat.sommarskog.se/Argentina/Mellan/Flamingos/736-first-lake.JPG

Now I'm assuming that this is a lake, from what I can see in the picture. If it is ocean meeting land I would use foam.
Nice water!

It might help if your underwater fog was more dense. You rarely see water that clear in real life, which is one of the reasons the underwater ground is darker. Also it looks like you are not fogging the water surface, so it doesn't blend into the terrain in the distance. There's some aliasing from the high frequency normals in the distance, you can reduce that by scaling distortion inversely with the camera distance.
How about a caustic effect? Something like this little trick would distinguish the lakebed from dry land with dynamic lighting. I used something similar to good effect in an old class project and I found it to be cheap and effective.
Off topic, but:
If you are using light scattering (at least, it looks like you do), you should also apply this to the water surface.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement