Taking Pen and Paper RPG digital?

Started by
4 comments, last by wodinoneeye 16 years, 11 months ago
A project that I've had kicking around in my head for awhile has been a rather simple game, basically a chat program that supports plug-in functions. (Ignoring the fact that I currently have no good ideas on how to go about designing a plugin framework,...) The core of my idea is basically a chat room, ability to create character sheets (editable on the fly), ability to create formulae that can use variables that are read from the character sheets or put in (still debating how best to do this one) and of course digital dice. Other things I was thinking to include is were form of a 'map' that players can move icons around, and maybe a very simple paint function. Ability to store and save maps and import images. Comes with no rule set, I want it to be something that people can import any rules set they want, D&D, WhiteWolf, HomemadeRPG#991201, whatever. Game will still be run by GM like normal pen and paper, the formula thing just makes it easier most of the time, you would put your common ones there rather than doing them by hand all the time. Thoughts on what I need to do to easily support any rule set with ease for the GMs? Things you would like to see in such a toolset? I've actually only played one game of a modified whitewolf, so I'm by no means an expert on Pen and Paper, but hopefully will play more games with this. Suggestions on how best to handle things? Mostly doing this to learn networking beyond the basic theory I've picked up. Plans are to do it in Java, make it small and easily portable. Not going to be a large project, might even make it open source. If I ever get it done, would really hope lots of people use it.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement
Consider OpenRPG.
Quote:OpenRPG is an Internet application that allows people to play Role Playing Games in real-time over the Internet. OpenRPG is free, open source, software, distributed under GNU/GPL license.

thanks, I've been looking over that site, but still want to do my own eventually.
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Sounds interesting.
any thought on what type of rpg you would design or have the maps look like?
Gameplay
Character statistic and the rest.

I would like to throw some ideas.

I to have several ideas been working on since 97. A survival horror board game, a collection trading card game, and a few other projects that need some fine tuning to be completed.

I would like to hear more of your ideas on your project.

Ghostknight
Well, the whole point of this was to NOT provide maps, stats or any actual game, but to provide the tools and communications for players to play their own games. And I was mostly looking for input on what kind of features people like to use in their role playing games, or other things such a program could handle easily.

Work on this kind of got side tracked, like most of my things, when friends got me helping with other projects. And you have to love trying to find a job.

A virtual table top, where players move their 'piece' and the Gamemaster his monsters and props and map chunks (or draws them). A video conferencing system so all the players can freely communicate (talking avatars??).

Rule tools for the GM to do rolls automatically and add up modifiers and stats and table lookups etc...

Sounds a bit like the table wargame system a friend of mine was having me develop (ie- napoleonic 15mm games etc...)
--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement