3DS Max - Creating Faces? (Simple)

Started by
4 comments, last by Domarius 16 years, 11 months ago
I'm learning how to be a competent low-poly modeler in 3ds max. I've been working on the helmet above for about an hour now. I started with a tube object that I made into a bell shape by scaling the vertices. I've started to cut away at the front so that the guy inside can see. I did this by selecting and deleting both the outward-facing and inward-facing polygons of that section of the tube. So far so good. My question: I now have a bunch of edges that I could like to cap with faces to make a solid water-tight object. How do I do that? I found the Cap Holes modifier - which works on the top of the helmet, but not for the rim. I also found the Select All Open Edges button - it seems like I am just missing the final step.

Shedletsky's Bits: A Blog | ROBLOX | Twitter
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea...

Advertisement
If you convert it to Editable Poly, then you can select Edges and cap them. If that's what you did to do the fill holes, then I don't have any other advice, sadly.

You cannot do this in Editable Mesh, btw.
I'd extrude edges and weld the new vertices to fill ghte open borders. that's good practice:)
go to the polygon sub-selection level(Editable Poly) and click on the create button. then go clicking on the vertices to create a polygon. look at the documentation for futher details.
convert to Editable Poly>Select 2 edges that you want to connect and click Bridge.
Another way is "create face", I think this is in Face editing mode of Editable Poly. You click the verticies that surround the gap, in clockwise order, and when you click on the first one again, it creates the face over the hole.

(Something like that, it's been a while)

For local multiplayer retro themed games, visit Domarius Games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement