Game to bring ALL Gamers together (input GREATLY appreciated)

Started by
17 comments, last by chefgon_ign 16 years, 11 months ago
I am gonna kinda dissagree with you on that note of game companies using full marketing. You DO see lots of intersting games out there, you see em all the time and lots of em fail, that is why there are so many games out there for 10.99 and games that flop right off the bat. Becuase items arent tested to a full extent they are given a title or given a deadline to develop.
marketing is my buisness, its what I do for a living in the los angelese entertainment industry.
The concept to move the GBA around with wario ware looked cute and was odd, but nothing happend it flooped, the concept of shaking your psp around to make a piece of murcury around was innovative but it flopped, katamari damacy, as neat as it was in the Japanes market FLOPPED in the american market. Yea some of these things were cool to the small elite market of gamers, but as a whole the HARDCORE gamer who reads magazines and desighns games is a very small faction of poteIntial value to game production.

The focus on gameplay allows for easy play and controls themselves, that is the idea, the simple fun factors not the standalone for the reason that I dont want people to just play racing or fishing or fighting or shooting, the idea is to make them move and the controls be simple and enjoyable.

Mariokart handled easy and you could pick up and play, powerstone was easy to control and was fun for many to play lots of games had simple factors in them that made them enjoyable, this is the idea im looking for.

The LAST thing I want is to simulate big bass fishing, I want it to be simple and easy to play like a variation of some zelda fishin with some extra prizes and options, the same applies for alll other things as well.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Rokinbilly57
The gaming industry is one of the few HUGE industries that doesnt put most of its focus into market and sale figures before major launches.

Um...what planet are you on?
im here to get input from developers, I already have input from gamers, why is it that you just keep comming back to talk trash.
Please, input on ideas, im trying to find the over all potential of the game.
And as I said before, I am in marketing, they DONT focus most of their attention to marketing and sales, they focus their attention to the newer and better engines, or scropts for hollywood plot twists, or even rights to movie based films.
Im not saying companies just out and throw stuff on the market hoping people will buy it, im saying MOST companies dont put enough research into likes and dislikes of gamers. Its usually about taking chances, the entire industry was on taking chances, now its about hype, an interest of a major film title has nothing to do with gameplay being that most games bought will be for gifts, like a nimo game. or spider man, or super man.
When these games are brought to the table its not an issue where people will spend time asking gamers "hey what would you like to see in super man" that is open marketing.
I didnt put this post up for trash talking I want to see the issues, you already gave me some, AWESOME, I see them and am taking them to heart to fine tune what designs I have as well as taking what I can at face value.
But by all means openly express how big you are by belittling my opinions.
I offered the opportunity to anyone who would like to see the overall desighn of the game, its more a less a finished product, and there is already interest from a few 3rd party companies. My ENITRE reason for being here was to see what developers saw when they saw this. if you see trash, neat then you see trash. However You and maybe a few other arent so bad under circumstances of how many people have viwed the concept. under the idea that this place is where I WILL see the most synical of people I only really have 3 complaints, all others that have gotten the concept emailed at full loved the idea. and the things they didnt like they told me and I work it into the idea to see what gamers think as well.
And as I said before, I am in marketing, they DONT focus most of their attention to marketing and sales

yes, publishers most certainly do focus much on marketing and sales...

proof right here:
Quote:
they focus their attention to the newer and better engines, or scropts for hollywood plot twists, or even rights to movie based films.

It cost money to place advertisements, it cost money to run TV commercials. the marketing department knows full well that those advertisements and marketing dollars go so much further if they are for a known consumer commodity....like a hit movie, like a established and popular game franchise, like an highly anticipated piece of new game engine technology.

Yes there is marketing focus groups, yes there is marketing research, but that is only one part of any task marketing has before it. Bottom line is that marketing is about generateing consumer awareness and excitement...its about generateing that hype inorder to exploit every possible game sale.

But you are here for ideas, right?

Here is one...Go back and read that fantastic FAQ put together by tsloper. Then come up with some game idea far, far, FAR less abitious...Come up with something direct and simple, like one of those minigames in your uber game. Then focus all your efforts into getting THAT done, getting THAT marketed, out the door, and makeing you money.

And for the record Katamari Damacy most certainly did NOT flop in America, it actualy outsold expectations. ( http://www.theesa.com/archives/2005/05/e3_2005_state_o_1.php <= According to this it sold over 120,000 copies in the US during 2004...keep in mind it was released at the end of September that year. So that total is for two months in the marketplace ;)

katamari damacy, as neat as it was in the Japanes market FLOPPED in the american market.
[...]
The concept to move the GBA around with wario ware looked cute and was odd, but nothing happend it flooped
...and here's one of your problems; Katamari Damacy was anything but a flop, and while not brilliant Warioware has also been quite succesful. A number of your facts are unfortunately simply incorrect, you might want to try going back for another round of research. [wink]

Quote:Its usually about taking chances, the entire industry was on taking chances
It's actually almost never about taking chances actually, your examples of Katamari Damacy and Warioware go against the trend in that regard.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Talking from a developer standpoint, I would absolutely shudder in how long it would be in development for given that that you need to develop a networking framework for an MMORPG environment that supports multiple game worlds and genre rules. This on top of developing the other dozen genres involved in the design document. The money needed to produce would insanely huge for something that is unproven to be a hit.

It really does sound like you are taking two games and gluing them together, the 'Arena' is the main game and the 'World' is just a 3D lobby. i.e. FPS game + Second Life/Sony Home.

I don't think any developer or publisher would touch this due to the time and money needed to complete this.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Please be as synical as needed, this game is being designed on the ideas/opinions and wantss of the gaming community not just one person.

vs.
But by all means openly express how big you are by belittling my opinions.

Sounds to me like you're just bad at accepting criticism. You came looking for honest feedback, and everyone's telling you that they think it's a bad idea. But if you want to keep asking until you get someone to tell you what you want to hear, by all means continue.

I, along with the masses, see this as too much of a pipe dream and not enough reality. If for no other reason than the issue of network latency and architecture: the various playstyles just wouldn't mesh in any kind of cost-friendly manner.

Also:
And as I said before, I am in marketing

I honestly hope you mean you're a marketing student, and not in the industry, as I have a hard time envisioning a marketing department that would let you work there with the grammar and spelling skills you're using. Take the time to organize your thoughts, hit the enter key once in a while, and you might present a more cohesive idea (as well as more legible). Regardless of your real persona, posts like this come off as "sugar-crazed emphatic teenager."

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

I do see some good elements in the game but I don't think that this game will appeal to all gamers. (I don't even know if any game can) The first thing that sticks out to me is sombody who doesn't want to build their robot, they just want to play the game. I also think that some gamers would want everybody on a level playing field and not have somebody have an advantage because they have had more time to improve their robot.

I also would see people getting bored with the game when they feel like they have reached the limit of progress. Once the players has an uber-powerfull bot what does the player do then?
My current game project Platform RPG
To get this out of the way: there is absolutely no possible way that you can make this game. You can tweak the idea and plan it out to your heart's content if it makes you happy, but it would take a team of experienced programmers, a few years, and a couple million dollars to complete this game as you describe it.

I'm not sure that you are fully aware of how complicated these things are to make. You admit that you are not good at programming, that would be the best place to start. Try to write a simple game like Tetris or Pac Man, you will learn that even simple things you take for granted like collision detection and animation are quite hard to do on your own.

To be blunt, you absolutely have to have some programming experience of your own before you can expect to gather a team of homebrew programmers and lead them to the creation of your game. If it was possible to just be a "game designer" based entirely on your ability to come up with cool game ideas, then thats all anybody would ever do. Its not as hard as you think to come up with awesome, innovative game ideas.. the reason why so many commercial games are limited in scope is because epic games are very hard to make, and its simply not possible to include all your ideas into a project because it would take decades to complete.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement