Dead bodies everywhere

Started by
13 comments, last by Kest 16 years, 11 months ago
I would say that you should make it configurable. Either use your own special realistic dead body handling, or make bodies disappear quickly somehow.

I know I would like to see how the bodies pile up and are handled at first, but after a while I would find them distracting if they contrast with the rest of the scene, so I would want to switch it off.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
I didn't say they would stop the chase because dead bodies were in the scene, I said they wouldn't cross over into other sectors, which meant you could never have too many corpses in one place, because you never had more enemies than the ammount of corpses.

Right, I was just noting that I don't mind if there are too many living enemies. But the fact that they can die and others can come into the same scene presents a problem.

Quote:It allowed the the monsters to still fill out a level, and not have them all come after you as soon as a they heard your first gunshot, and it also allowed rooms to maintain their challenge. Having to fight 3 insivisble demons in a low light room isn't a challenge if you can walk out into the fullbright hallway and just shoot them as they walk out the door. [lol]

I actually did that a few times in Doom 3 [smile]

You don't think it's equally strange that the player can enter the doorway, shoot at a demon, jump back out into the light, reload, jump back in again to shoot once, then dodge back out again? Given any sort of line barrier, even if the monsters were allowed to cross it a small distance, the player could use it to their advantage for tiny tactical retreats.

But I guess just limiting the number of enemies that can come at you in one area, regardless of bodies, is something that will kill the problem. Even if enemies are not stopped from chasing you, you could remove enough older bodies to allow for a chase once those bodies exit a scene. And in order to 'wake' a new enemy, older bodies will usually have to exit the scene. Except perhaps, in an elevator type scenario.
It would make for interesting gameplay in Ghost Recon 2. You can end up killing twenty people or so in one place by sniping them, and their bodies disappear. As a result, you never have to move or change tactics. It's actually fairly annoying.

Decomposition is a decent method, and plenty of games simply disintegrate the bodies, but the monster crawling out and dragging the bodies back into the shadows must be my favorite (you might only do that for bodies not in the middle of fields, I suppose).

The methods of level design and mob placement is probably one of the more difficult, but most effective methods. By actually limiting the number of mobs that will be in an area, you've automatically taken care of the corpse problem. It probably takes a different sort of skill to make the levels work correctly - not to mention a good bit of time - but is allover a good method.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Quote:Original post by Kest
I actually did that a few times in Doom 3 [smile]
I was speaking of earlier dooms. I always forget Doom 3 exists. My rig can't run it, and I have little interest in it.

Solving that doorway problem is as simple as locking the door as the player enters the room. But until then, the monsters won't leave the room, or hear any sound so that they are still waiting in the room when the player gets there.

Quote:You don't think it's equally strange that the player can enter the doorway, shoot at a demon, jump back out into the light, reload, jump back in again to shoot once, then dodge back out again? Given any sort of line barrier, even if the monsters were allowed to cross it a small distance, the player could use it to their advantage for tiny tactical retreats.
No. That's just plain bad level design. Any line could be used to limit monster movement.. so You'd have them away from the door... like in the middle of a warehouse, and the outer edges would be crates, which would be infront of the door. You'd get your ass bit on the way out if you tried that. [lol] The level design and monster placement have to complement each other.

No matter what solution is discussed, you can come up with 50 ways to get around it. It's your job to use whatever solution you come up with properly to avoid those situations.

One reason not to stack up bodies is simply because it's like adding obstables all over the place. Any current game controller is still pretty clumbsy, and it's a lot harder to maneuver around obstacles, than it would be in real life, where you'd effortlessly step around the bodies.
The bodies won't become obstacles. Characters will walk over them. Well, since it's 3D, through them. But it's simulating walking over them [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement