Triangle Strips vs Quad Strips

Started by
11 comments, last by gharen2 16 years, 11 months ago
Quote:
And about the splitting of the terrain. I really considered that but I think that it wont look nice. If I have a straight terrain (no fog) I should see a verry large distance. And if I cut the terrain in small pieces it will just jump out of nowhere when I reach a particular point at which I will draw it. I then thought that i should draw all terrain near my position:

WRT splitting it into pieces
visually there is absolutly no difference, theres no need for fog (things will not jump out of nowhere)
for each patch u test if its bounding box intersects the modelviewfrustum if so draw it.
the only difference WRT splitting it into patches is the framerate will increase 3x in speed (on average)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by gharen2
If you really want to optimize your terrain, look at level of detail algorithms, like ROAM. And for that you'll actually need triangle fans.

ROAM is almost always the wrong algorithm to use. It is an elegant algorithm and easy to understand, but it is basically obsolete. ROAM does not use triangle fans (well, I guess maybe it could). You are probably confusing it with Röttger, et al, "Real-Time Generation of Continuous Levels of Detail for Height Fields".

As a first attempt at terrain LOD, I recommend learning geomipmapping.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Quote:Original post by JohnBolton
ROAM is almost always the wrong algorithm to use. It is an elegant algorithm and easy to understand, but it is basically obsolete. ROAM does not use triangle fans (well, I guess maybe it could). You are probably confusing it with Röttger, et al, "Real-Time Generation of Continuous Levels of Detail for Height Fields".

You're absolutely right, that is the algorithm I was thinking of. My apologies.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement