Looking for nework programming introduction tutorials...

Started by
6 comments, last by Sirisian 16 years, 11 months ago
Hello ! I'm new to this forum and also to this domain of application that is network programming... I'm planning to create a network layer for my game engine, but i strictly don't know how to do that ! I whould like to have informations on how to create a multiplayer network system ( Similar to the communication system you have in quake, which allow multiplayer to play on the same game at the same time over the internet .... ) I'm lookin for some good resources ( tutorial, papers ... ) to get into this domain... So if you have any informations, please let me know... ps: i already looked over google to find something, but i was probably using the wrong keyword , and i didn't find anything ... Thanks !! Clement
Advertisement
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=30
I believe he linked you to WinSock - too lazy to check. But WinSock is a good place to start, assuming you're using Windows. You can apply the knowledge to regular berkley sockets (I beleive that's what theyre called) pretty easily though.

Here is an amazing tutorial.
Thanks you :)

Next time i will do a research i won't "Google it" ,
but "GameDev it"...
;)

Clement
well, you have to decide first if you want to code your own network layer or use ready made like DirectPlay in DirectX.. and what language are you using ?
I'm using C++
And the Underlaying API for 3D rendering Is Directx.

So yes, i could use DirectPlay, but the thing is that i'm a bit "nevrotic" ( hope it work in english ... ) :)
And i yould like to make my system as mauch API agnostic as possible...

So if i use directx play, i will make an abstraction layer above it,
But i wonder if DirectPlay is not already to much spécific ....

I mean, by making my own TCPIP network layer, i think making the abstraction layer will be much more easy ....
because if 'im right TCPIP is the same everywhere...
And directPlay is not at all !!

Thanks again
The Forum FAQ answers most of your questions (or at least points to answers).
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Well if it is for a game, then you can always learn how to manage packets and how to serialize data. There's many source of information. If your using a Boost with C++ then there are serialization stuff contained within that.

I have a small article that I wrote which shows some simple ideas. I've seen many people try to send strings and trust me that's not the way you want to do it.
clicky

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement