terrain lod subdiv matrix

Started by
3 comments, last by remdul 16 years, 11 months ago
I'm sorta following this paper ("Real-Time Generation of Continuous Levels of Detail for Height Fields" by Rottger): Clicky I got to the point where the only thing left to fix is the T cracks between two areas that differ more than one level of detail. I'm using the boolean matrix to flag whether each node needs to be subdivided or not (see the figures in the article). The only thing that is eluding me is; how do I use the matrix to prevent these cracks?
Advertisement
The article says to skip the center vertex on these edges. Have you tried that?

Also, you must subdivide so that no adjacent edges differ by more than 1 level of detail. Otherwise, you'll have to skip a varying number of vertices on each edge, which is not recommended.
I have the subdivision thing working, and a node of say level 3 next to a node of level 4 is seamless.

It does not work with a node of level 3 that neighbors a node of level 5, resulting in a seam.

Should I loop through the entire matrix after subdivision, and detect these cases, then sub divide the neighboring nodes? I don't think that is efficient and the intention of the matrix.

Anyone?
You should never have a node of level 3 next to a node of level 5. Your LoD should gradually change so you only have to worry about the case when they are one level apart.
Um, yes I know.

But how does that matrix help with that?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement