The Invisible Laser Mouse

Started by
12 comments, last by V-man 15 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by LodeThat would mean that it's an invisible signal that hurts the eyes, which is somewhat scary...

Almost *all* electromagnetic radiation is invisible; a large portion of it also hurts *anything* made of cells, not just the eyes.

Advertisement
Some of these posts are scaring me.

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

Imagine a lasik laser. It's ultraviolet so you can't see it, but I imagine that pointing the thing at your eye could do significant damage. [grin]

Next I suppose we'll get comments that we should have little lights to warn us when there is high UV exposure, since you can get sunburn on an overcast day when the UV is still getting through.
A week ago, i purchased the MS Notebook Laser mouse 6000.
It realy looks a great mouse. I have only two serious issues to share.

1) First of all, I'm using a Notebook (sony vaio) and made the mistake to install
the included CD whith MS Intellimouse, so that i can have access to the special
Button that my new mouse features.
Well, the thing is that after the installation of Intellimouse the whole original menu and settings of my vaio's touch-pad (under control panel->mouse)
was completely gone and replaced with Microsoft's menu and settings!
My touch-pad had many special features and settings there, that i've now lost forever!
I tried uninstalling Intellimouse and then the menu "mouse" turned to the basic menu of Win XP.

2) About the Laser mouse invisible radiation, i've made a simple test. With my mobile phone's camera, i captured a video so that i can see the mouse's laser beam. I picked it up slightly (about 2-3 cm) a few cm from my mouse-pad having the camera facing to the mouse-pad and a blue beam appeared on the mobile's screen.
After picking it up from the mouse-pad (about 2-3 cm), the beam was shining continuously for about 3 seconds and after that point it started to flash periodically. Then i lift it up some more (about 15 cm and holded it there) and again having the camera facing down at the mouse-pad. The flashing beam was still there on the mouse-pad!! Which means that the mouse does not stops flashing the laser beam. After that i gave it some more lift! (about 30 cm now) and again i could capture the flashing laser beam on the mouse-pad!!
So i'd sugest you to be very careful with the mouse laser beam as it does not stops working even if you leave it upsidedown facing the sky forever!
I cannot tell if the same happens with mice of other brands, but with ms' mice it works as i described.
That's kind of stupid. Why are they using an infrared laser? If it was visible, at least you can tell if it is on or not.

It's not like a red laser is so much more expensive.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement