Sockets or Threading Problem ?

Started by
14 comments, last by Thunder Sky 16 years, 11 months ago
hey, i am developing using c# a network application. In the application there is file transfer using multiple threads from different users. Where each thread has a socket that is transfering part of the file. Every socket wait a certain period of time for packet to be received. This period was set to 10. When i connect to one source with 20 connections(threads) for example, and i receiving data from him. I observe that the connections are disconnected gradually with time. I debugged the code, i found that a socket in a thread waited for the packet to come so it can receive it till timeout(10 seconds passed), so it is assumed that the sender is disconnected. I increased the timeout to 100 milliseconds. I observed that the connections disconnects more slowly, but the problem is still available. My question is what should i do to detect the state of the otherside's socket so i can take the decision to disconnect from it? and what should be the length of the timeout period ? any help will be appreciated, thnx.
Advertisement
Sounds like something to do with blocking/non-blocking sockets. Which are you using?
Thnx for response. well, i understand that blocking Socket.Connect() doesnt return till it connects or fails. Non-Blocking Socket.Connect() returns, and when it succeeds to connect it triggers an event. Well, in this application i dont use Socket.receivetimeout to set the time out. I have a loop that check Socket.available to know if their is data to receive or it will count till the timeout.

int n = 0;
while(true)
{
if(socket.available>0)
{
socket.receive(bytes);
break;
}
else
{
if(n == timeout)
{
socket.close();
}
n++;
Thread.Sleep(1);
}
}

Can u explain more to me what blocking and non-blocking has to do with my problem ?
Is this TCP?

TCP has timeout of (forgotten the number), I think, 30 seconds or so. Or perhaps this isn't the timeout I'm thinking about.

If this is network ack timeout, then transferring over internet with 100ms timeout requirement will cause disconnects, especially without some reliable connection.

if this is UDP, then the same rule applies - 100 ms simply isn't enough. 2 seconds may be too short.

Bottom line is - you cannot detect the state of remote socket. You also do not disconnect it, unless you want to disconnect the client for application triggered reason (client logs out, has transferred all files, etc.).

TCP takes care of everything. If something happens, errors, un-acked packet for 30 seconds, network error, etc, your API will notify you of that. But beyond that, you don't trigger timeouts OR disconnects.

The average ping time for internet connections should be considered at some 250ms.
i am using TCP, i didnt mean above 100 milliseconds sorry, i meant 100 seconds. Well should i make the thread wait forever for the packet to be received ? and another question, does the increasing in the number of these threads increases time needed for transmission significantly ? any help will be appreciated,thnx.
You don't wait for data to be received. TCP guarantees delivery, or it reports an error after any part of data hasn't been acknowledged.

That's the whole point of TCP. With UDP you do need to implement acks and so on.

If you're sending to a slow connection, you might need to implement some minimal form of throttling, since sending too much data at one (megabytes per connection per second to dial-up ) can probably stress the network implementation. But even witthout it, TCP provides throttling.

If you're not receiving an answer, then the problem is with your other end that's not responding properly and doesn't send data back. But connection is alive nonetheless.

You general loop will look something like this:
either open or accept socketwhile ( active ){  receive some data.  append received data to buffer.  if whole message/packet/data unit is in buffer {    handle what is in buffer.    generate the response.  }  if any data is to be sent {    send it;  }}close socket.

Active flag will be set by application when it's done with the connection.

Last time I did some threading tests, each server and client handled some 200 threads (although single UDP socket) without any problem. The only problems came from non-thread related problems, but throughput was reduced by about 30%.

Still i didnt get it. Do you mean if a connection is open, if the otherside crashed there is no way to know and close it? and the questions remain : should i make the thread wait forever for the packet to be received ? and another question, does the increasing in the number of these threads increases time needed for transmission significantly ? any help will be appreciated,thnx.
How I handle ungracefull disconnects is in my receive method..

bytes_received = Socket.Receive(blah)
if (bytes_received== 0) client disconnected;
else
process data

*** Warning ***
The following may or may not be the best way, but it fits my needs (for now)
*** Warning ***

I check my socket lists with Poll in its own thread, if a client disconnects ungracefully, Poll will say that socket has data to read, but it wont have data when you receive on that socket, so my server disconnects that socket.
my blog contains ramblings and what I am up to programming wise.
thnx for your response. are you sure this is really working ? how would Poll function return that there is data to be received and there is nothing ? i hope you are right. Anyway, does the increasing in the number of these threads increases time needed for transmission significantly ?
Oops, first let me fix an error, I use Select, not poll. Sorry.

I only have one thread for select, and one for the receive method, if you would like, I can email you the server/client in a rar so you can have a look at the code. Its not very pretty or documented, but should be easy to understand.

As for time needed to transfer, my server/client sends instantaneously. But, I have max users set to 4 (can be changed by changing the MAX_USERS) and I only have one computer so I run the server and 4 clients on one machine (meaning no internet lag). I have not tested it over the internet.
my blog contains ramblings and what I am up to programming wise.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement