Sign in to follow this  
Turik

[web] PHP book

Turik    122
A friend of mine runs a site using PHP and now I'm hooked on trying to learn it. I need to find a good book that can teach me PHP, so I was wondering if anyone could give me the name of some books that are good to learn from.

daviangel    604
markadrake    104
Web Application Development with PHP and MySQL

Also, best to go to the bookstore for an hour or two and read / skim over a few of the available books. The determining factor may be between the available code samples included, which may include something you are actually tryign to make - saving you some time.

Flashthinker    100
PHP & MySQL for dummies is a good beginner's book.
It can also be used as a reference; it's very straight forward, quite detailed and it covers pretty much all the basic features of procedural PHP.

Sander    1332
Both the PHP as the MySQL online manual are so good that you don't need a book, if you are already familliar with programming in general. I would just read/try the introductionary tutorials and then pick up a relatively simple open source app based on PHP/MySQL and start hacking away at it. Something like a simple guestbook for example. Or a photo album. Something that you'd like working on.