Selling my game in N.America and Europe

Started by
13 comments, last by RSC_x 16 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I need advice about this topic. My company is about to start work on our next game and I would like to sell it in N.America and Europe. Should I talk to a publisher? I have no problem with meeting the high quality standards of video games that publishers require. Thanks.
Advertisement
your first necessary is patenting your game...

© Loading... !!!
Please Wait...!
Quote:Original post by RSC_x
your first necessary is patenting your game...
This information is completely incorrect.

Quote:Original post by miminawewe
Should I talk to a publisher?
That question is impossible to answer (in a meaningful way unless you tell us what your situation is and what your aims are.)

[Edited by - Obscure on May 6, 2007 11:11:24 AM]
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
miminawewe wrote:
>My company is about to start work on our next game

How many people are in your company? Are you the company's president? How many games has your company made before now? How long has your company been in existence? Is your company financially stable? Does your company's president have solid business experience?

>and I would like to sell it in N.America and Europe. Should I talk to a publisher?

It's more usual to approach publishers after you have made something to show, rather than as a first step. See FAQs 60, 11, and 21 at http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html

Always put horse before cart, not after it.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:This information is completely incorrect.

why...?

if you hawe somethingss on your hands.
you must try to hold them on your hands...
because anyone will try to get it.
and patent is necessary for this.

abut publishing...
i think if you hawe enough adwetisement and sale service cahannels
you don't need a publisher...
if your game is realy good..
but if it standard. i think the more easy way is contacting with prowider.
© Loading... !!!
Please Wait...!

why...?

Your advice was wrong for many reasons; but the most obvious is that it is not possible to patent a game.
The Trouble With Patents (Interesting gamasutra.com article)
Quote:This information is completely incorrect.

why...?
Apologies for not typing up a full answer earlier but I was busy.
Reasons...
1. Patents protect inventions - new and novel ways of doing something. A game (as a whole) uses well established ways of doing something so can't be protected by patents.
2. You might have a part of your game that does something new (some clever new way to simulate liquids) which would be patentable but then you come up against cost. The patent process is quite complex and as such you really need an experienced (and expensive) patent lawyer. The cost would start at $10k and could quickly reach $100k - that is far more money than most indie developers can afford to spend.

The correct methods of protecting intellectual property such as games is to register the copyright and any trademark associated with the game.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Quote:Original post by Moomin
The Trouble With Patents (Interesting gamasutra.com article)

Edit: Read the article below

(Apparently there's been a Supreme Court ruling that may help with the problems mentioned in that article)

[Edited by - Galliard on May 9, 2007 2:53:03 PM]
There is a better explanation of changes in the US Patent Office here:

http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?story_id=9134111&fsrc=RSS ( Clicky )

-cb

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement