Reading file names from a folder.

Started by
10 comments, last by Chett2001 16 years, 11 months ago
Hey, ive been trying to read in the name of the first file in a certain folder but im not sure if the folder is relative or a full path.. AND im not sure on the syntax your supposed to use. here is my current code, hFind is calling an invalid handle value and it gives me a load of IIIII's with squigles over them.
	WIN32_FIND_DATA FindData; 

LPCTSTR myDir = "\books\*.ebr";
LPCTSTR foundFile ="";

HANDLE hFind = FindFirstFile(myDir, &FindData); 

foundFile = FindData.cFileName;

if (hFind == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) 
  {
    ::MessageBox(0, FindData.cFileName, 0, 0);
  } 
So if anyone knows where im going wrong or can show me a proper example on how to do file paths in this situation i would be eternally grateful.
Chett - "I look forward to helping all of you one day, but right now im just a noob learning his way through the perils of game Development."
Advertisement
Maybe you need to double-escape the \:
LPCTSTR myDir = "\\books\\*.ebr";
LPCTSTR myDir = "books\\*.ebr";

doesnt throw an error but i stil cant get foundFile to show something understandable still "ÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌ" .

Chett - "I look forward to helping all of you one day, but right now im just a noob learning his way through the perils of game Development."
if (hFind == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) {    ::MessageBox(0, FindData.cFileName, 0, 0);} 

This is true when you don't find any matches. You should be checking for a valid handle.
VALID_HANDLE_VALUE doesnt exist, whats the name of it exactly?
Try and use the != instead of ==...
Allright done that, doesnt throw an error but still getting the same rubbish, is there anything else im doing wrong?
This example will print out every file/subdirectory from the current directory.
#define  WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN#include <windows.h>#include <iostream>int main (int argc, char *argv[]){	WIN32_FIND_DATA finddata;	memset (&finddata, 0, sizeof(finddata));	const LPCSTR pattern = "*.*";	HANDLE hmatch = FindFirstFile (pattern, &finddata);	if (hmatch != INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) {		// Loop through every match		// (will output both files and directories)		do {			std::cout << finddata.cFileName << std::endl;		} while (FindNextFile (hmatch, &finddata));	} else {		std::cout << "No match for pattern '" << pattern << "'." << std::endl;	}	FindClose (hmatch);	return 0;}
The thing is i dont want to just write out the files in the directory, i want to place it into a LPCSTR/char*/string variable so i can choose one and using another function load the text in those files accordingly. So i need a way to save the name of a text file into a variable, and doing something like:

LPCSTR foundFile;
foundFile = finddata.cFileName;

doesnt work, got any idea of a solution?
Well, look at the line where all of the printing occurs. Change the printing to something that will store that value into a string. I believe this:

std::string filename(finddata.cFileName);

will work, but I haven't tested it.

edit-I didn't see the part where you tried:

LPCSTR foundFile;
foundFile = finddata.cFileName;

edit2-What do you mean 'it didn't work'? Was there a compiler error? The following code Does work on my computer:

#define  WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN#include <windows.h>#include <iostream>#include <string>#include <vector>int main (){	WIN32_FIND_DATA finddata;	memset (&finddata, 0, sizeof(finddata));	std::string pattern = "*.*";	std::vector<std::string> fileNames;	HANDLE hmatch = FindFirstFile (pattern.c_str(), &finddata);	if (hmatch != INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) {		// Loop through every match		// (will output both files and directories)		do {			std::string fileName(finddata.cFileName);			fileNames.push_back(fileName);		} while (FindNextFile (hmatch, &finddata));	} else {		std::cout << "No match for pattern '" << pattern << "'." << std::endl;	}	FindClose (hmatch);	for(std::string::size_type i = 0; i < fileNames.size(); i++)	{		std::cout << fileNames << std::endl;	}	return 0;}

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement