Need some help!

Started by
4 comments, last by Fluger 16 years, 11 months ago
Me and a couple of friends are creating a game as a large project in school (it's suppose to be around 100 hours of work, per person). We are mainly used to program in c++ but we have some experience with java as well. Now we are uncertain of which graphic library we should use (and learn). What do you guys recomend? I dont really have any understanding of which ones are out there and which would be appropriate for a project of this size.
Advertisement
you are probably talking about 2d game project. if so, use sdl libraly and its extensions(sdl_mixer for sound, _net for networking, _image for images, _ttf for fonts)
sdl its preatty easy to start with.
you can download sdl at www.libsdl.org
a set of nice tutorials can be found at cone3d.gamedev.net and www.lazyfoo.net
You'll have to tell us what operating system you're working on and what the game's style is before we can give a complete answer.

Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.
Right, sorry for the incomplete informaion. We are working in windows atm. As for the game style right now we are planing on creating a 2D beat 'em up game.

Anything else?
I recently started using SDL and so far, it's pretty easy going. Much easier to get up and running than DirectDraw, which I used previously. There's also Allegro, but I've never worked with that so I can't say anything about it except that it exists. ;)

Another thing you may want to consider is using Python in combination with PyGame (2D) or the Panda 3D engine, for example. It's a high-level script language, pretty easy to get into if you're already familiar with other languages. It has some strange aspects - strange if you're used to other languages that is - but it allows for pretty fast development.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Thanks a bunch guys, I've cheecked out SDL and it seems great! I really appreciate your help

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement