Sign in to follow this  
Zyndrof

High Quality Game Programming Tutorials?

Zyndrof    163
Hi! I have about a year of experience in Visual Basic 2005 and 6 months of experience in PHP. These are my primary languages as for now so I know that I have to learn a new language to start my game programming experience. Since my economic priority is laid on other things I cannot afford to buy more programming books at the moment and therefor I am looking for high quality tutorials on the web. Not a very easy task I'm afraid. Could you please point me in the direction of some great tutorials in any language? The only demand is that there are some fine IDE's for the language (I'm used to Visal Studio which I like very much). Thanks in advance!

Scet    960
Why? You can make games with VB.Net just like with any other language. While learning a new langauge is usually a good learning experience, but you don't need to.

(I'm assuming VB 2005 = VB.Net)

Zoso    151
I agree with Scet, you dont necessarily need to learn a new language as VB.Net will do just fine. There are plenty of tutorials available on the net and a huge collection of valuable information here in gamedev.net. Since you want to have no costs in this, I suggest you stick to using VB 2005 ( or get Visual studio C# Express, free also) and the DirectX SDK which also comes with lots of examples to help you get started.
Here are some webcasts for learning game development along with C#.
There's also the MS "Coding4Fun" series which looks reasonably good in here.
I hope those will be helpful in getting you started.