Sign in to follow this  
rdansie

Game demo for prospective employers

rdansie    114
Hi. Im developing a game demo to send to employers with my CV. Its going to be a 2d final fantasy style rpg game. Ive finished the coding needed to get the character walking around the world and im now working on the battle section. Other sections which will be included are npc interaction, an in game menu and some game editing tools. All of the game details are loaded in from external files. I was just hoping that some people already in the game dev industry could have a look at what ive already done and let me know if it is a good enough quality to get me an interview. The rest of the game will be a similar style to this. Heres the demo so far http://www.geocities.com/ryan_dansie/demo.zip [Edited by - rdansie on May 7, 2007 3:50:22 AM]

Dunge    405
I tried to run your demo on Vista, it worked but seemed buggy the character moved one case each 15seconds and I couldn't really do anything else than end task on it. Plus, I'm wondering why you choose to use 640*480 resolution in 2007? I don't care about paintbrush gfx (cause I do the same) but low resolution is a no no.

Still I won't say it's a bad demo, this is clearly done all by yourself and show that you have the will to create a full project, which is rare.

It always depend on what type of company you plan to apply. Smaller companies might want to be sure to hire a serious guy who can do pretty much everything while bigger companies would prefer to hire you and check a few months after if you are good. Personally, I had a demo I've made to show at my interview, but they simply nodded and didn't tried it at all, asking me a few questions on it instead.

jpetrie    13159
Quote:

Hi. Im developing a game demo to send to employers with my CV. Its going to be a 2d final fantasy style rpg game. Ive finished the coding needed to get the character walking around the world and im now working on the battle section. Other sections which will be included are npc interaction, an in game menu and some game editing tools. All of the game details are loaded in from external files.

This is probably a bad idea.

Something you develop with the express goal of developing it to send to employers will be easily recognizable as such, especially in the case of a "complete game." You're much better off sending one of your other, more-polished projects. If you don't have any previous projects worth sending, then you should strongly consider reducing the scope of your "game" to something more like an interesting tech demo.

When developers even care about demos, what they care about varies widely. Generally, however, if you're going to show them a full game it better be very polished, which you usually don't have the time or resources to dedicate to if you're building the game with the express intent to use it to get you hired. Additionally, such a game tends to involve application of a broad variety of techniques and disciplines, but none of them are applied with much depth, which can suggest to an employer that you can do a lot of easy stuff, but nothing hard. As it stands, for example, there is absolutely nothing in your demo that sticks out in an impressive fashion. You've shown me you can write some basic rendering, input handling, file I/O, and some trivial AI. But those are all qualities that I would assume any minimally competent applicant would have, and that I would query for in the interview. I expect a demo piece to be some of your best work, and if your best only jives with my minimally competent than I (speaking as a potential employer, obviously) would not be interested in persuing your application further.

It's usually better for a demonstration piece to be highly focused on a specific implementation of a technique or application of a certain technology. It's a lot easier for developers to evaluate (they're not going to look at your demo for more than a few minutes) and it shows you can really dig deeply into something.