XNA vs Mdx

Started by
9 comments, last by Omid Ghavami 16 years, 11 months ago
i'm trying to find the right api and i want to know if xna offers the same level of performance as mdx thanks
Advertisement
Yep, it does pretty much.
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
From what I understand, XNA is the new MDX. MDX 2.0 became XNA. They are both .NET wrappers around DirectX, so I would assume that they both give the same performance.
so i should not waste time learning mdx 1.1 then is what you are saying
Well, I guess that's what I'm saying. If they really aren't continuing MDX, which I don't think they are, then it wouldn't make much sense to learn it.

XNA is really good, and really easy to use.
Microsoft is not going to support MDX any more. The MDX Version 2.0 was rename XNA.

XNA is not a game library, is a Framework. Very new.

There are a couple of books about XNA on the market, I didn't read it yet.

I bought a very good book about C# and Managed DirectX called Beginning C# Game Programming. The code examples don't run anymore, there are many errors and warnings and is really difficult to updated to XNA. I dropped't waiting to see what's going to do Microsoft with it.
If you're just starting I recommend going with XNA. The interface is easier to use (there's no device initialization to mess with, for example), a devoted community has already developed, and Microsoft seems very dedicated to the project.

However, Managed DirectX 1.1 will still be supported by Microsoft, so using it wouldn't be a dead end. Microsoft will not issue any new updates to the library, though.
Quote:Original post by nilkn
(there's no device initialization to mess with, for example),

That's pretty scary! I'm an old-school DX developer, but I've written a renderer using MDX. I haven't looked at XNA - how do you initialize the device then?

Quote:Original post by krum
Quote:Original post by nilkn
(there's no device initialization to mess with, for example),

That's pretty scary! I'm an old-school DX developer, but I've written a renderer using MDX. I haven't looked at XNA - how do you initialize the device then?

Typically you work within a framework that does the dirty work for you. Of course, if you needed to do any custom settings then yes, you have that option. It's rather nice I was suprised.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
You're also missing out on some features like occlusion queries. There isn't any native animation support (as was available via d3dx), but there have been a few bits of code released that address this from what I've seen.

While MDX isn't being updated, I wouldn't be so quick to say it's gone for good. XNA only runs D3D9-level functionality, so a sort of MDX10 could be in the wings.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement