Sign in to follow this  
Sairon

Quaternion rotations problem

My game character has a upper and lower body which are seperated by a manually controllable bone. In local space this bone is axis aligned with the Y axis. What I want to do is rotate the lower and upper body seperately. This in order to be able to run in one direction and aim in another. So I let the lower part of the body be affected by the parent scenenode rotation, which works perfectly. However the problem arise when I want to undo the scenenode rotation on the upper body and then apply the new rotation. The rotation which describes the orientation of the upper body is in a Vector2 consisting of X & Z describing which way the upper body should face. This Vector2 describes the look direction in world space. The entire matter isn't done easier by the fact that linear algebra isn't my strongest area, and quaternions in particular. Any input appreciated.

Why do you want to undo the scenenode rotation? I would think you would want to concatenate the lower body (scenenode) transform with the local-space upper-body transform to yield a world-space upper-body transform (which doesn't involve any 'undoing' of transforms).

Perhaps you could describe the problems you're running into in a little more detail.

Hehe, just thinking about calculating the diffrence instead of undoing the rotations helped me solve it, thanks :)