Quick way to clear a char array

Started by
5 comments, last by fitfool 16 years, 11 months ago
Hey all, im looking for a quick example of how to delete all the information stored in an array so i can put new data into it, and if its smaller not still have data from the previous set. the array is: myPage.pageArray[400][10000] from page class: char pageArray[400][10000]; thanks.
Chett - "I look forward to helping all of you one day, but right now im just a noob learning his way through the perils of game Development."
Advertisement
Do you want something complicated ? Won't just a simple

for( int i = 0 ; i < 400 ; ++i){  for( int j = 0 ; j < 10000 ; ++j )  {    myPage.pageArray[j] = 0;   // Assuming that 0 is empty  }}

do the trick ? (Assuming c/c++)
The fastest way to handle that kind of operation is to memset() the memory:

memset(&myPage.pageArray[0][0], 0, sizeof(myPage.pageArray));

Pzc's solution will end up being slower than this (for various reasons).

A similar C++ way would be to use std::fill

char *begin = myPage.pageArray[0][0];
char *end = begin + sizeof(myPage.pageArray);
std::fill(begin, end, 0);

It might be slower than memcpy (although this might not be the case. You'll have to profile...).

Regards,
<zen>The fastest way to clear an array is not clearing an array.</zen>

struct Row{  int count;  char entries[10000];};struct Page{  int count;  Row entries[400];};

Now, depending on how you populate the data, you first set the appropriate count to 0, then fill in the required elements into entries, then set count to the number of elements added.

YMMV, but since you have stated that you may have partial data, I'll assume that you're populating each row individually.

C/C++ solutions are the same, just the syntax of structs would differ.
Thanks for all the good advice folks, as allways.
Chett - "I look forward to helping all of you one day, but right now im just a noob learning his way through the perils of game Development."
Quote:Original post by Chett2001
from page class:
char pageArray[400][10000];

!!!!
Serious warning bells here.

Are you trying to store text in there? That's not what char[]'s are for. String are represented in C++ using a real string type, std::string.
One more thing. Im not sure, but i dont think what your doing is the proper way to handle the array of that size. I believe you should dynamicly allocate your array so you dont take up all the memory availible in simple terms.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement