Sign in to follow this  

Rendering order and modular engine

This topic is 3873 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone: Does anyone have resources on rendering order or the general ordering of modules in a graphics engine? I realize these are two completely different things so I'll clarify. Rendering order: I have an octree based terrain engine that currently just renders a prebuilt terrain to the screen. I precompute normals in Max and export them with the mesh data. My engine just parses the file, puts the vertexes where they belong and the indexes where they belong and render. Now, I want to add objects to the scene so I am kind of figuring a quad or octree for scene objects but this is where I hit my snag. What is the rendering order, if I render terrain then objects, what happens when an object is behind a hill on a terrin and rendered? I'm guessing Z-ordering will prevent this? But then there's transparent objects, render them last farthest to nearest seems to be the most logical way. However, with more capabilities added it gets more convoluted which is where my second question comes in. Any good resources on engine modularity? I'd like to make my terrain engine and get it working very quickly. Then I'd like to add in the pretty textures, then the sky box then bloom effects, etc. But is there an easy to use modular framework guideline somewhere? Right now I find myself just tying pieces in here and there when they make sense but the end result often doesn't make sense. So, books, online papers, threads? Gimme what you have please. :) Thanks, Webby

z-buffering will take care of opaque polys, then for translucent polys, draw them last and have ztest/zread on with zwrite off.
Yeah try to render translucent objects furthest to nearest, how ever most games/engine i've worked with dont even worry about this. You will get render order issues but generally you dont have many translucent objects in your typical scene

This topic is 3873 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.