Help

Started by
7 comments, last by Illiria 16 years, 11 months ago
hello people i am new new here and i was wondering if someone could me. i would like to know what kind of resources would i need to create a game e.g computers and software and what are the prices for those? thanks
Advertisement
any computer will do you. Preferably one with a graphics card installed so that you can learn the more advanced techniques. You can downloads express editions of programming material from microsofts website that give you all the tools that the developers use at a cheaper price - free. i would start with a beginners book about programming in the language of your choice. most people learn C++ becuase it is the most popular with developers but others use VB.net and C#. learn the language some before you try and tackle a game. I tried to make a game first and that failed horribly.
i am not trying to make a game i just need this info for coursework.
can no-one help me?
i just need names of software that can help me build a game.
You can use Visual Studio 2005 which is a piece of software by microsoft, with the addition of the DirectX Software Development kit (SDK) the latest version of that is April 2007 if im not mistaken. For 3d graphics in the game you would want some software like 3d Studio Max for doing the actual 3d stuff and some sort of picture editing software to make the skins (for the models) and other artwork such as Adobe Protoshop CS :) So a list would be:

Visual Studio 2005 £475.00
Microsoft SDK april 2007 (can be crudely described as an addon for VS2005 that makes doing 3d easier) free
3d Studio Max £3,155.00 inc.VAT (you can get a free but much older version though, and you do have other software options)
Adobe Photoshop CS (etc) £743.01 from dell

Im sure you could argue more but thats a start, prices might not be that competative you might want to research them yourself i got those from a quick google. The only other thing i can think of is some sort fo sound editing software unfortunately i havent delt with that side much so i cant recomend anything for you.
Chett - "I look forward to helping all of you one day, but right now im just a noob learning his way through the perils of game Development."
Quote:Original post by Illiria
can no-one help me?
i just need names of software that can help me build a game.

Are you talking about commercial games or just hobby based projects?

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

What kind of computer game? Top of the line or independent? Console or PC? Online or offline(Eg., MMORPG or Single Player)?

The answers range from relatively low end pc ($1000 can get you a fairly nice computer these days) and an internet connection to download free software such as Visual C# for programming, blender for 3d modeling, gimp or Paint.NET for artwork, and probably some sound programs as well (don't know any off-hand)

For the high end, you'd need a few hundred computers for all of the artists and programmers working on the project. Professional development tools such as Visual Studio 2005 Professional for all of the developers (say, 25+), another 50+ copies of 3d studio Max or maya for modeling, maybe another 50+ copies of adobe photoshop for artwork, a few dozen servers for online play, a couple writers, dozens of voice actors, motion capture experts, etc. Maybe a special license from a console developer that costs many thousands of dollars to be able to actual develop a game for the platform. Perhaps many thousands more dollars to license an existing 3d graphics engine. Office space for all of the employees.

There's probably more. I don't work in the industry, that stuff just seems fairly obvious. There are probably hundreds of programs used to make games. It's like asking what kind of cloth is used in the fashion industry.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Try Torque Game Builder. (http://www.garagegames.com/)
(Note: This program can make 2D and 3D games, but you need to download the different versions made for 2D and for 3D games, respectively. And it uses the Torque Game Engine, which runs off it's own scripting language called Torque Script, which is similar to C/C++.)

Or FunEditor. (http://projectfun.digipen.edu/)
(Caution: This program is very unreliable and poorly constructed. It can also only make 2D games, utilizes DirectX, and runs off of ANSI C++.)

By the way, you could use Audacity for sound editing, but that's not by any means top-of-the-line, being open-source and all. (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)
thank you all for your help, thats all i needed.:)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement