Sign in to follow this  
pTymN

Transition from elastic to completely inelastic

My objects are vibrating after they lose pretty much all of their momentum, and I feel that some method of ignoring really small forces would be useful. Are there any simple models that do this? If I throw an actual superball or spin a coin, eventually it seems to lose all bounciness suddenly.

i think that the reason why this vibrating behavior with elastic objects doesn't happen in real life is that the elasticity of a collision is in fact a function of the speed at the point of impact, such that at v = 1.0 m/s: e = .5 and at v = .01 m/s: e = .1.

Something like that. You could do some experiments by measuring the time a superball hits the ground after dropped from a certain height. From this you approximate the curve of the coefficient of restitution function. Just some ideas..

The truth is that real objects never stop vibrating. Most stationary objects we see are vibrating constantly down to the smallest level. I imagine the problem is that the effect is too pronounced to look good, which I usually handle by treating collisions that happen below a certain momentum by reducing that momentum to 0 - but only when it's necessary for style.