Windows application with 3D graphics

Started by
1 comment, last by LordFallout 16 years, 11 months ago
Ok so suppose i wanted to write a Windows application in which i could change some settings for things that might happen in my particle engine, how could i code this, since it would use two different components, the direct x to display the particle engine section and windows code to change settings which might happen in real time on the particle engine?? I know its possible since i've seen it done before i just wondered how it was done. Cheers Fallout [Edited by - LordFallout on May 7, 2007 4:00:34 PM]
Advertisement
I'm assuming that you're talking about having menu bar controls for things like particle size, frequency, whatever.

This will involve a few things. First you will have to define the menu layout that you want within an your project's .rc file (I'm not sure what this would look like in this case, and I would be interested in any resource which tells you how to make an .rc file for this kind of thing.)

Then you will need to add some kind of input handling code to your WinProc function to retrieve the activation of your menu controls and do something with the input (ie, make particles bigger, faster, etc.)

It should be something similar to this, at any rate.
Greg Philbrick, Game Developercoming soon . . . Overhauled CellZenith
Ah yeah thats exactly how i thought it would be done, and also exactly what i wanted to however how could i specify which area was for directX in the Applications window? would i just specify that in my initialisation code, set an area that isnt the full application to run the Direct X in?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement