Best practice introduction

Started by
2 comments, last by ejele012 16 years, 11 months ago
I've been looking through the book lists on this site, yet I'm not quite able to find exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like a resource(book, article, comic, brain implant etc.) that is as void of technology specific discussions as possible. But focuses on the best practices of game programming, regardless of whether it's DirectX, Managed DirectX, OpenGL etc. By best practices, I mean: What is the best(or at least normal) way to build and store a 3D world. Terrain maps, buildings, actors etc. That, and similar questions. I have no problem learning the specific technology, but it would be nice if someone with years of experience could guide me to use the tools I'm learning properly. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Advertisement
Unfortunately for you, there is no such thing.
  • The best practice for one kind of game can be the worst practice for another type of game.
  • The best practice can depend on the specific technology being used.
  • The best practice might take months of work or be beyond the capability of a beginner.
I recommend that rather than looking for the best way to do something, you learn about the several ways of doing it. That way, you can decide for yourself which is the best method for your particular situation.

John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Yeah, didn't really expected a single best practice book. Naturally, there is no single way of doing games, but what I really need right now is a decent overview of current technologies for building a decent outdoor environment. And other related topics for that matter.

Most resources are very focused and give an implementation specific solution to most problems, but I'd rather have the "why" than the "how-to".

Basically, what I want is something I can read to keep me from just hammering things down where I think they belong. Most books seem somewhat old, but I suppose the general architecture only changes slowly.
Hi;

When you talk about "Best practices" in game programming is a wide subject. Is you refer to "Programming" I suggest the book Code Complete, Second Edition by Steve McConnell. Is about the best practices in the art and science of constructing software.

But is just a start, then you have IA, Game Art, Playability, Portability, etc. And there is so much info in the net.

Then, when you talk about 3D worlds you are talking about 3D Software as Maya, 3D Max, Blender, etc. and the tools you'll use to display it like DirectX, OpenGL among others.

A good book that covers many points is Game Programming All In One, third edition by J. S. Harbour. There are many others books dedicated on 3D but I don't know any specific, look in the forums.

Good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement