Sign in to follow this  
fabiobasile

traumatic experience with MSVC++

fabiobasile    122
Well, i am a newbie, total newbie. I have always been interested in programming, but i guess i am more of an artist and my work involves 3D animation and illustration. Still i have been always curious, though i never had the time to get seriously into it. Turns out now i do, so i decided to head into Barns&Nobles and browse for some books, armed with a list from GameDev.net and lots of naivety. I found this really great book, by the look of it it seems really complicated, but then when i started flipping through it it seems quite easy to understand even to a newbie like me! :) It's called "The Complete Reference - C++ Fourth Edition" by Herbert Schildt. I couldn't keep off it for a few days until i decided to hunt for a good compiler to try some of the examples and tutorials, which are conveniently downloadable from the Osborne website. I got myself a copy of the free Visual C++ Express because of how everyone was drumming and trumpetting about it (at least on the msdn forums), and the trouble began. I didn't realized it at first, but then the first issue started with VC++ complaining about not finding windows.h as i tried to compile tutorial and sample code. I thought as usual, maybe it's me... i'm a newbie after all and this sounds like the typical thing that happens to newbies. But then i started reading all this nasty messages on the msdn forums about people complainign about the missing windows.h header, so i said.. umm.. lots of newbies. Fortunately some guy who didn't sound like a newbie says: "hey that's easy! all you have to do is download this little thing here and this other little thing there and this other service pack and.. and .. and..." several gigabytes later with a hard drive almost full, i had the feeling someone was taking me for a ride. Either that or i really suck at this "programming thing". Then again... does it have to be this complicated?? It's like i want to learn how to drive and they give me a car with no steering wheel and gas pedal... but its ok... i just need to go to the dealer and grab myself a 300 pounds gas pedal and a 500 pounds steering wheel and i'll be fine... Ok maybe i'm dramatizing just a tad, but if anyone has some good advice for me i'll buy them a car. Of course i can't really include the wheels and the engine... but it's ok, right...? lol :D

superpig    1825
Visual C++ Express itself deliberately doesn't include windows.h and all other parts of the platform SDK, because many people who are using Visual C++ Express don't need it (they're making .NET applications instead of traditional Windows ones). You do indeed need the Windows Platform SDK in order to make native Win32 applications (like the tutorials and samples in your book).

kiome    229
It might be true that there is no real pleasant introduction into the programming world, especially not if you choose a language like C++.
But in this case you simply landed on the wrong starting page, because this one would have probably saved you some time:
Visual Studio Express Download Instructions
Especially Step 3 should be interesting for you, since it explains how to setup your envirnoment to work on the Win32 API (or Windows API), which is exactly the thing you are trying to do.

Installing the Platform SDK is actually an easy task and one you should be comfortable with, since you will need to take similar procedures when working on any other libraries (DirectX, OpenGL, SDL, ect.).

This is needed because none of those functionalities are part of C++. C++ is just a certain syntax and a C++ compiler provides the Standard C++ Library which adds some streaming classes and the Standard Template Library.

The learning curve might be steep at the beginning, but it will get easier and it is highly rewarding.

fabiobasile    122
mmh... do you think it might be something about Windows Vista 64bit? I am sure i followed the steps correctly... at least three times now.

I hope this is not one of those typical Microsoft things in which i "just have to reinstall windows and then everything will be alright..."... :(

Here is what i did:

1. Installed MSVC++
2. Installed the service pack+Vista update
3. Installed the Dev Pack

didn't work the first, second and third time... :(

fabiobasile    122
Well now i am definitely sure something is bogus... Platform SDK is the one in big 'ole letters saying "Microsoft ® Windows Server® 2003 R2 Platform SDK Web Install",right...?

Because it's the same i keep on installing over and over after MSVC++ and all the updates... And after that, i see no more header files popping up in the whole hard drive than before, including windows.h :(

There should be a whole folder called something like "Microsoft SDK Dev" or something, chock full of header files to which i am supposed to link from MSVC++, right?

nobodynews    3126
I'm not sure if this is the problem, but I saw 64-bit vista and looked this up:
Quote:
1.3. Product Installation
1.3.1 Installation of Visual Studio 2005 on the Intel Itanium (IA64) is not supported.

Visual Studio 2005 does not support the Intel Itanium (IA64) processor.

Hopefully that isn't the problem, but if it is at least you know.

fabiobasile    122
It shouldn't be a problem, since i build all my machines around AMD processors...

I decided to take a bet and download the full installation of the Dev Pack, which is installing as we speak... if everything goes alright i should find a new folder containing all the new headers, right?

fabiobasile    122
ok i think i got it... or not.

Anyway i know why nothing works even after installing the dev pack... it took 20 minutes to install the damn thing and at the end i went to look the folder and guess what?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 .Net 2003\Common7\IDE

Yep. Nothing in it, just the folders. Empty like my pockets.

For some strange reason right after it installs the whole thing Windows Vista just wipes out everything again! ARGH!

kiome    229
Why did you install Visual Studio 2003 .Net instead of Visual Studio 2005 Express?
All you need to so is to follow the instructions listed on the page which I linked to.

superpig    1825
For all the installers, did you do 'Run as Administrator?' VS.NET 2005 is not entirely compatable with Vista's security model, so to ensure that you're not getting hit by something like the Platform SDK installing into a sandbox, run each installer as an admin, and run Visual Studio itself as an admin too. (I think it pops up a warning dialog about this when you run it).

fabiobasile    122
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=484269E2-3B89-47E3-8EB7-1F2BE6D7123A&displaylang=en

This is the link where i got the SDK Dev full install

I have no idea why it created that folder, i just know that it happened after the whole installation of what it appears to be "Microsoft SDK Platform (R2) Setup Wizard". Following the links is too easy to get it wrong, so i know i got the right thing. Even the installation says it! Why the heck am i winding up with a whole different thing when the setup program says i am installing the SDK Platform???

cdoty    733
Visual Studio 2005 reminds me of Visual Studio 5, it's not quite ready for primetime. Hopefully Microsoft will release patches, rather than wait for the next version (like they did with VS 6). There's already a service pack, but Windows is smart enough not to allow it to be installed. It takes an act of god to install it.

fabiobasile    122
i agree with that, looks like even in administrative mode it all still ends into a sandbox...

Oh well at least now i know what's wrong with the dang thing! lol

MaulingMonkey    1728
... Frankly, this is likely to be one of the lesser challanges if you get serious about programming. Both this and that are one in the same, in essense: Problem solving.

The nonexistance of windows.h is solved by installing the Platform SDK (and doing the proper post-install configuration), as outlined in the installation instructions of VS2005 in the first place. superpig's comments are the first to come to mind -- installing as a mere mortal account may cause OS induced file reshuffling, or worse, failure to install right in the first place. 'course, knowing Vista, it may do that anyways. I wouldn't know.

I would find out with your windows search feature.

I also wish to note I entirely disagree with cdoty's sentiments. I'm quite glad we didn't have to wait for whatever tooling around for whatever the hell he's refering to for this latest iteration of improvements to my C++ toolset.

Obviously, saying there's no room for improvement would be laughable. Just the fact that you're dealing with C++ automatically implies that there is infinite room for improvement. Sooner rather than later, please.

fabiobasile    122
We are on the same page indeed, i know this is probably the least of my trouble for when i'll (finally be able to) start learning... i guess i'm just frustrated because... i wanna start! :P

Well i tried installing as administrator, multiple times, and that didn't work either. I still just wind up with a bunch of empty folders.

I'll probably try to find out if there is a way to circumvent the security features in Vista, i'm sure there's gotta be some information since i've spent over 300 bucks for the Ultimate version, heck i should be entitled to some support...

MaulingMonkey    1728
Quote:
Original post by fabiobasile
We are on the same page indeed, i know this is probably the least of my trouble for when i'll (finally be able to) start learning... i guess i'm just frustrated because... i wanna start! :P

Understandable.

Quote:
Well i tried installing as administrator, multiple times, and that didn't work either. I still just wind up with a bunch of empty folders.

And you tried using windows search without tracking them down either, right?

This is probably part of the reason I'm adverse to upgrading OSes as often as possible, unlike my C++ toolset :). But yes, for $300, I'd certainly say you're entitled to some tech support.

Omid Ghavami    1007
Quote:
Original post by fabiobasile
ok i think i got it... or not.

Anyway i know why nothing works even after installing the dev pack... it took 20 minutes to install the damn thing and at the end i went to look the folder and guess what?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 .Net 2003\Common7\IDE

Yep. Nothing in it, just the folders. Empty like my pockets.

For some strange reason right after it installs the whole thing Windows Vista just wipes out everything again! ARGH!

Did you actually install it to that folder? The default installation folder for the Platform SDK C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\ for example as can be seen on the instruction list. Why are you looking for the files in the Microsoft Visual Studio .Net 2003 folder when you don't even have Microsot Visual Studio.Net 2003 installed?

fabiobasile    122
well it's not like i looked for that folder, it's just that i know i don't have VS .Net installed but for some reason even if i delete that folder, the next time i try to install PSDK i find it right back where it was! creepy... definitely a case of stalking folder...

Also i always used the default options during install.

Anyway, Good news!! I don't even know how i did it but out of desperation i started thinkering around with the Windows Features while the Program Files folder was opened and i couldn't believe my eyes: Windows Platform SDK 2003 in all its glory with all the headers and junk and bells! HURRAY!

1.2Gb of gooey goodness! I'm going ahead now and install Visual C++ Express and see if a miracle happened tonight!

carllloyd    124
Just a quick point which everyone has not mentioned, you may have installed the SDK but did you tell the compiler to look in the platform SDK directory by adding the Lib and Include folders??

This is all mentioned in the installation documentation of Visual Studio Express 2005.

On mine I go:

Tools -> Options -> Projects -> VC++ Directories

Then just add the path to the Lib and Include forlders from the platform SDK!

Stick with it cause it is all worth it :)

Deyja    920
I'm willing to put money on the platform SDK being installed correctly all along. He was just looking in the wrong spot.

fabiobasile    122
nah, i'm pretty sure the sdk was not installed for two simple reasons: disk size and the missing reference in the installed programs list.

When your hard drive is pretty full you tend to notice 978Mb on top of what you have, and the PSDK was not in the list each time i went to uninstall everything and reinstall.

And now i don't have anymore problems with missing links to headers, finally!

Just one thing: when i try the Text3D samples from the DirectX SDK, instead of missing headers errors i get the following:

1>------ Build started: Project: Text3D, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
1>dxstdafx.cpp
1>Compiling...
1>DXUT.cpp
1>DXUTenum.cpp
1>DXUTgui.cpp
1>DXUTmisc.cpp
1>DXUTRes.cpp
1>DXUTSettingsDlg.cpp
1>text3d.cpp
1>Generating Code...
1>Compiling resources...
1>Linking...
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SystemParametersInfoW@16 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTInit(bool,bool,bool,bool)" (?DXUTInit@@YAJ_N000@Z)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__SystemParametersInfoW@16
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__CommandLineToArgvW@8 referenced in function "void __cdecl DXUTParseCommandLine(void)" (?DXUTParseCommandLine@@YAXXZ)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__CreateWindowExW@48 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTCreateWindow(wchar_t const *,struct HINSTANCE__ *,struct HICON__ *,struct HMENU__ *,int,int)" (?DXUTCreateWindow@@YAJPB_WPAUHINSTANCE__@@PAUHICON__@@PAUHMENU__@@HH@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__AdjustWindowRect@12 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTCreateWindow(wchar_t const *,struct HINSTANCE__ *,struct HICON__ *,struct HMENU__ *,int,int)" (?DXUTCreateWindow@@YAJPB_WPAUHINSTANCE__@@PAUHICON__@@PAUHMENU__@@HH@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetRect@20 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTCreateWindow(wchar_t const *,struct HINSTANCE__ *,struct HICON__ *,struct HMENU__ *,int,int)" (?DXUTCreateWindow@@YAJPB_WPAUHINSTANCE__@@PAUHICON__@@PAUHMENU__@@HH@Z)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetRect@20
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetRect@20
1>Text3D.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetRect@20
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__RegisterClassW@4 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTCreateWindow(wchar_t const *,struct HINSTANCE__ *,struct HICON__ *,struct HMENU__ *,int,int)" (?DXUTCreateWindow@@YAJPB_WPAUHINSTANCE__@@PAUHICON__@@PAUHMENU__@@HH@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetStockObject@4 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTCreateWindow(wchar_t const *,struct HINSTANCE__ *,struct HICON__ *,struct HMENU__ *,int,int)" (?DXUTCreateWindow@@YAJPB_WPAUHINSTANCE__@@PAUHICON__@@PAUHMENU__@@HH@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__LoadCursorW@8 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTCreateWindow(wchar_t const *,struct HINSTANCE__ *,struct HICON__ *,struct HMENU__ *,int,int)" (?DXUTCreateWindow@@YAJPB_WPAUHINSTANCE__@@PAUHICON__@@PAUHMENU__@@HH@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__ExtractIconW@12 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTCreateWindow(wchar_t const *,struct HINSTANCE__ *,struct HICON__ *,struct HMENU__ *,int,int)" (?DXUTCreateWindow@@YAJPB_WPAUHINSTANCE__@@PAUHICON__@@PAUHMENU__@@HH@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetWindowLongW@8 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTSetWindow(struct HWND__ *,struct HWND__ *,struct HWND__ *,bool)" (?DXUTSetWindow@@YAJPAUHWND__@@00_N@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetWindowTextW@12 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTSetWindow(struct HWND__ *,struct HWND__ *,struct HWND__ *,bool)" (?DXUTSetWindow@@YAJPAUHWND__@@00_N@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetWindowLongW@12 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTSetWindow(struct HWND__ *,struct HWND__ *,struct HWND__ *,bool)" (?DXUTSetWindow@@YAJPAUHWND__@@00_N@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__IsWindowVisible@4 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTChangeDevice(struct DXUTDeviceSettings *,struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,bool,bool)" (?DXUTChangeDevice@@YAJPAUDXUTDeviceSettings@@PAUIDirect3DDevice9@@_N2@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__IsZoomed@4 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTChangeDevice(struct DXUTDeviceSettings *,struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,bool,bool)" (?DXUTChangeDevice@@YAJPAUDXUTDeviceSettings@@PAUIDirect3DDevice9@@_N2@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetWindowRect@8 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTChangeDevice(struct DXUTDeviceSettings *,struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,bool,bool)" (?DXUTChangeDevice@@YAJPAUDXUTDeviceSettings@@PAUIDirect3DDevice9@@_N2@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetClientRect@8 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTChangeDevice(struct DXUTDeviceSettings *,struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,bool,bool)" (?DXUTChangeDevice@@YAJPAUDXUTDeviceSettings@@PAUIDirect3DDevice9@@_N2@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetClientRect@8
1>DXUTsettingsdlg.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetClientRect@8
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__IsIconic@4 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTChangeDevice(struct DXUTDeviceSettings *,struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,bool,bool)" (?DXUTChangeDevice@@YAJPAUDXUTDeviceSettings@@PAUIDirect3DDevice9@@_N2@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetWindowPos@28 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTChangeDevice(struct DXUTDeviceSettings *,struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,bool,bool)" (?DXUTChangeDevice@@YAJPAUDXUTDeviceSettings@@PAUIDirect3DDevice9@@_N2@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetWindowPlacement@8 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTChangeDevice(struct DXUTDeviceSettings *,struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,bool,bool)" (?DXUTChangeDevice@@YAJPAUDXUTDeviceSettings@@PAUIDirect3DDevice9@@_N2@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetMenu@4 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTChangeDevice(struct DXUTDeviceSettings *,struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,bool,bool)" (?DXUTChangeDevice@@YAJPAUDXUTDeviceSettings@@PAUIDirect3DDevice9@@_N2@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetWindowPlacement@8 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTChangeDevice(struct DXUTDeviceSettings *,struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,bool,bool)" (?DXUTChangeDevice@@YAJPAUDXUTDeviceSettings@@PAUIDirect3DDevice9@@_N2@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetMenu@8 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTChangeDevice(struct DXUTDeviceSettings *,struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,bool,bool)" (?DXUTChangeDevice@@YAJPAUDXUTDeviceSettings@@PAUIDirect3DDevice9@@_N2@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__ShowWindow@8 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTChangeDevice(struct DXUTDeviceSettings *,struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,bool,bool)" (?DXUTChangeDevice@@YAJPAUDXUTDeviceSettings@@PAUIDirect3DDevice9@@_N2@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__CallNextHookEx@16 referenced in function "long __stdcall LowLevelKeyboardProc(int,unsigned int,long)" (?LowLevelKeyboardProc@@YGJHIJ@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetWindowsHookExW@16 referenced in function "void __cdecl DXUTAllowShortcutKeys(bool)" (?DXUTAllowShortcutKeys@@YAX_N@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__UnhookWindowsHookEx@4 referenced in function "void __cdecl DXUTAllowShortcutKeys(bool)" (?DXUTAllowShortcutKeys@@YAX_N@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DestroyAcceleratorTable@4 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTMainLoop(struct HACCEL__ *)" (?DXUTMainLoop@@YAJPAUHACCEL__@@@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DispatchMessageW@4 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTMainLoop(struct HACCEL__ *)" (?DXUTMainLoop@@YAJPAUHACCEL__@@@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__TranslateMessage@4 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTMainLoop(struct HACCEL__ *)" (?DXUTMainLoop@@YAJPAUHACCEL__@@@Z)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__TranslateMessage@4
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__TranslateAcceleratorW@12 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTMainLoop(struct HACCEL__ *)" (?DXUTMainLoop@@YAJPAUHACCEL__@@@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__PeekMessageW@20 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTMainLoop(struct HACCEL__ *)" (?DXUTMainLoop@@YAJPAUHACCEL__@@@Z)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__PeekMessageW@20
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DefWindowProcW@16 referenced in function "long __stdcall DXUTStaticWndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?DXUTStaticWndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__PostQuitMessage@4 referenced in function "long __stdcall DXUTStaticWndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?DXUTStaticWndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__PostQuitMessage@4
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__UnregisterClassW@8 referenced in function "long __stdcall DXUTStaticWndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?DXUTStaticWndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DestroyWindow@4 referenced in function "long __stdcall DXUTStaticWndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?DXUTStaticWndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DestroyMenu@4 referenced in function "long __stdcall DXUTStaticWndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?DXUTStaticWndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SendMessageW@16 referenced in function "long __stdcall DXUTStaticWndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?DXUTStaticWndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__SendMessageW@16
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__SendMessageW@16
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__ClipCursor@4 referenced in function "long __stdcall DXUTStaticWndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?DXUTStaticWndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetCursorPos@4 referenced in function "long __stdcall DXUTStaticWndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?DXUTStaticWndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetCursorPos@4
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__ScreenToClient@8 referenced in function "long __stdcall DXUTStaticWndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?DXUTStaticWndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetAsyncKeyState@4 referenced in function "bool __cdecl DXUTIsKeyDown(unsigned char)" (?DXUTIsKeyDown@@YA_NE@Z)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetAsyncKeyState@4
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__MessageBoxW@16 referenced in function "void __cdecl DXUTDisplayErrorMessage(long)" (?DXUTDisplayErrorMessage@@YAXJ@Z)
1>Text3D.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__MessageBoxW@16
1>dxerr.lib(dxerr.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__MessageBoxW@16
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetSystemMetrics@4 referenced in function "void __cdecl DXUTDisplayErrorMessage(long)" (?DXUTDisplayErrorMessage@@YAXJ@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetSystemMetrics@4
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetClassLongW@8 referenced in function "void __cdecl DXUTSetupCursor(void)" (?DXUTSetupCursor@@YAXXZ)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetCursor@4 referenced in function "void __cdecl DXUTSetupCursor(void)" (?DXUTSetupCursor@@YAXXZ)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DeleteDC@4 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTSetDeviceCursor(struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,struct HICON__ *,bool)" (?DXUTSetDeviceCursor@@YAJPAUIDirect3DDevice9@@PAUHICON__@@_N@Z)
1>Text3D.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__DeleteDC@4
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__ReleaseDC@8 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTSetDeviceCursor(struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,struct HICON__ *,bool)" (?DXUTSetDeviceCursor@@YAJPAUIDirect3DDevice9@@PAUHICON__@@_N@Z)
1>Text3D.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__ReleaseDC@8
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DeleteObject@4 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTSetDeviceCursor(struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,struct HICON__ *,bool)" (?DXUTSetDeviceCursor@@YAJPAUIDirect3DDevice9@@PAUHICON__@@_N@Z)
1>Text3D.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__DeleteObject@4
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetDIBits@28 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTSetDeviceCursor(struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,struct HICON__ *,bool)" (?DXUTSetDeviceCursor@@YAJPAUIDirect3DDevice9@@PAUHICON__@@_N@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SelectObject@8 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTSetDeviceCursor(struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,struct HICON__ *,bool)" (?DXUTSetDeviceCursor@@YAJPAUIDirect3DDevice9@@PAUHICON__@@_N@Z)
1>Text3D.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__SelectObject@8
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__CreateCompatibleDC@4 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTSetDeviceCursor(struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,struct HICON__ *,bool)" (?DXUTSetDeviceCursor@@YAJPAUIDirect3DDevice9@@PAUHICON__@@_N@Z)
1>Text3D.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__CreateCompatibleDC@4
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetDC@4 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTSetDeviceCursor(struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,struct HICON__ *,bool)" (?DXUTSetDeviceCursor@@YAJPAUIDirect3DDevice9@@PAUHICON__@@_N@Z)
1>Text3D.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetDC@4
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetObjectW@12 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTSetDeviceCursor(struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,struct HICON__ *,bool)" (?DXUTSetDeviceCursor@@YAJPAUIDirect3DDevice9@@PAUHICON__@@_N@Z)
1>DXUT.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetIconInfo@8 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTSetDeviceCursor(struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,struct HICON__ *,bool)" (?DXUTSetDeviceCursor@@YAJPAUIDirect3DDevice9@@PAUHICON__@@_N@Z)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetKeyState@4 referenced in function "public: bool __thiscall CDXUTDialog::MsgProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?MsgProc@CDXUTDialog@@QAE_NPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__ReleaseCapture@0 referenced in function "public: bool __thiscall CDXUTDialog::MsgProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?MsgProc@CDXUTDialog@@QAE_NPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__ReleaseCapture@0
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetCapture@4 referenced in function "public: bool __thiscall CDXUTDialog::MsgProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?MsgProc@CDXUTDialog@@QAE_NPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetCapture@4
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__OffsetRect@12 referenced in function "public: long __thiscall CDXUTDialog::DrawRect(struct tagRECT *,unsigned long)" (?DrawRect@CDXUTDialog@@QAEJPAUtagRECT@@K@Z)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__PtInRect@12 referenced in function "public: virtual int __thiscall CDXUTCheckBox::ContainsPoint(struct tagPOINT)" (?ContainsPoint@CDXUTCheckBox@@UAEHUtagPOINT@@@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__PtInRect@12
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__InflateRect@12 referenced in function "public: virtual void __thiscall CDXUTListBox::UpdateRects(void)" (?UpdateRects@CDXUTListBox@@UAEXXZ)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetCaretBlinkTime@0 referenced in function "public: __thiscall CDXUTEditBox::CDXUTEditBox(class CDXUTDialog *)" (??0CDXUTEditBox@@QAE@PAVCDXUTDialog@@@Z)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__CloseClipboard@0 referenced in function "protected: void __thiscall CDXUTEditBox::CopyToClipboard(void)" (?CopyToClipboard@CDXUTEditBox@@IAEXXZ)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetClipboardData@8 referenced in function "protected: void __thiscall CDXUTEditBox::CopyToClipboard(void)" (?CopyToClipboard@CDXUTEditBox@@IAEXXZ)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__EmptyClipboard@0 referenced in function "protected: void __thiscall CDXUTEditBox::CopyToClipboard(void)" (?CopyToClipboard@CDXUTEditBox@@IAEXXZ)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__OpenClipboard@4 referenced in function "protected: void __thiscall CDXUTEditBox::CopyToClipboard(void)" (?CopyToClipboard@CDXUTEditBox@@IAEXXZ)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetClipboardData@4 referenced in function "protected: void __thiscall CDXUTEditBox::PasteFromClipboard(void)" (?PasteFromClipboard@CDXUTEditBox@@IAEXXZ)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__IntersectRect@12 referenced in function "public: virtual void __thiscall CDXUTEditBox::Render(struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,float)" (?Render@CDXUTEditBox@@UAEXPAUIDirect3DDevice9@@M@Z)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__keybd_event@16 referenced in function "protected: static void __cdecl CDXUTIMEEditBox::SendKey(unsigned char)" (?SendKey@CDXUTIMEEditBox@@KAXE@Z)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetKeyboardLayout@4 referenced in function "protected: static void __cdecl CDXUTIMEEditBox::CheckInputLocale(void)" (?CheckInputLocale@CDXUTIMEEditBox@@KAXXZ)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__RegCloseKey@4 referenced in function "protected: static void __cdecl CDXUTIMEEditBox::GetReadingWindowOrientation(unsigned long)" (?GetReadingWindowOrientation@CDXUTIMEEditBox@@KAXK@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__RegCloseKey@4
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__RegQueryValueExW@24 referenced in function "protected: static void __cdecl CDXUTIMEEditBox::GetReadingWindowOrientation(unsigned long)" (?GetReadingWindowOrientation@CDXUTIMEEditBox@@KAXK@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__RegQueryValueExW@24
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__RegOpenKeyExW@20 referenced in function "protected: static void __cdecl CDXUTIMEEditBox::GetReadingWindowOrientation(unsigned long)" (?GetReadingWindowOrientation@CDXUTIMEEditBox@@KAXK@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__RegOpenKeyExW@20
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DispatchMessageA@4 referenced in function "public: void __thiscall CDXUTIMEEditBox::PumpMessage(void)" (?PumpMessage@CDXUTIMEEditBox@@QAEXXZ)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetMessageW@16 referenced in function "public: void __thiscall CDXUTIMEEditBox::PumpMessage(void)" (?PumpMessage@CDXUTIMEEditBox@@QAEXXZ)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetKeyboardLayoutList@8 referenced in function "public: static bool __cdecl CDXUTIMEEditBox::StaticMsgProc(unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?StaticMsgProc@CDXUTIMEEditBox@@SA_NIIJ@Z)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__PostMessageW@16 referenced in function "public: virtual bool __thiscall CDXUTIMEEditBox::MsgProc(unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?MsgProc@CDXUTIMEEditBox@@UAE_NIIJ@Z)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetFocus@0 referenced in function "public: virtual bool __thiscall CDXUTIMEEditBox::MsgProc(unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?MsgProc@CDXUTIMEEditBox@@UAE_NIIJ@Z)
1>DXUTgui.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetRectEmpty@4 referenced in function "public: void __thiscall CDXUTElement::SetTexture(unsigned int,struct tagRECT *,unsigned long)" (?SetTexture@CDXUTElement@@QAEXIPAUtagRECT@@K@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__RegSetValueExW@24 referenced in function "void __cdecl DXUTDisplaySwitchingToREFWarning(void)" (?DXUTDisplaySwitchingToREFWarning@@YAXXZ)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DialogBoxIndirectParamW@20 referenced in function "void __cdecl DXUTDisplaySwitchingToREFWarning(void)" (?DXUTDisplaySwitchingToREFWarning@@YAXXZ)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__EndDialog@8 referenced in function "int __stdcall DisplaySwitchToREFWarningProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?DisplaySwitchToREFWarningProc@@YGHPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__EnableWindow@8 referenced in function "int __stdcall DisplaySwitchToREFWarningProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?DisplaySwitchToREFWarningProc@@YGHPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__CheckDlgButton@12 referenced in function "int __stdcall DisplaySwitchToREFWarningProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?DisplaySwitchToREFWarningProc@@YGHPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__IsDlgButtonChecked@8 referenced in function "int __stdcall DisplaySwitchToREFWarningProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?DisplaySwitchToREFWarningProc@@YGHPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetDlgItemTextW@12 referenced in function "int __stdcall DisplaySwitchToREFWarningProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?DisplaySwitchToREFWarningProc@@YGHPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetDlgItem@8 referenced in function "int __stdcall DisplaySwitchToREFWarningProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?DisplaySwitchToREFWarningProc@@YGHPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__LoadIconW@8 referenced in function "int __stdcall DisplaySwitchToREFWarningProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?DisplaySwitchToREFWarningProc@@YGHPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetWindowTextW@8 referenced in function "int __stdcall DisplaySwitchToREFWarningProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?DisplaySwitchToREFWarningProc@@YGHPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetForegroundWindow@0 referenced in function "public: __thiscall CD3DArcBall::CD3DArcBall(void)" (??0CD3DArcBall@@QAE@XZ)
1>dxerr.lib(dxerr.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetForegroundWindow@0
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetCursorPos@8 referenced in function "protected: void __thiscall CBaseCamera::GetInput(bool,bool,bool,bool)" (?GetInput@CBaseCamera@@IAEX_N000@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SystemParametersInfoA@16 referenced in function "int __cdecl DXUTGetMonitorInfo(struct HMONITOR__ *,struct tagMONITORINFO *)" (?DXUTGetMonitorInfo@@YAHPAUHMONITOR__@@PAUtagMONITORINFO@@@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__EnumDisplaySettingsW@12 referenced in function "void __cdecl DXUTGetDesktopResolution(unsigned int,unsigned int *,unsigned int *)" (?DXUTGetDesktopResolution@@YAXIPAI0@Z)
1>DXUTmisc.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__ShellExecuteW@24 referenced in function "bool __cdecl DXUTReLaunchMediaCenter(void)" (?DXUTReLaunchMediaCenter@@YA_NXZ)
1>Text3D.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetDeviceCaps@8 referenced in function "long __stdcall OnCreateDevice(struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,struct _D3DSURFACE_DESC const *,void *)" (?OnCreateDevice@@YGJPAUIDirect3DDevice9@@PBU_D3DSURFACE_DESC@@PAX@Z)
1>Text3D.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__CreateFontW@56 referenced in function "long __cdecl CreateD3DXTextMesh(struct IDirect3DDevice9 *,struct ID3DXMesh * *,wchar_t *,unsigned long,int,int)" (?CreateD3DXTextMesh@@YAJPAUIDirect3DDevice9@@PAPAUID3DXMesh@@PA_WKHH@Z)
1>Text3D.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__ChooseFontW@4 referenced in function "void __stdcall OnGUIEvent(unsigned int,int,class CDXUTControl *,void *)" (?OnGUIEvent@@YGXIHPAVCDXUTControl@@PAX@Z)
1>dxerr.lib(dxerr.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__MessageBoxA@16 referenced in function _DXTraceA@20
1>Debug\Text3D.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 97 unresolved externals
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (February 2007)\Samples\C++\Direct3D\Text3D\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>Text3D - 127 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

fabiobasile    122
Well, i had a look at the google reference on Schildt, i'm sure i won't have a problem getting money back if the book is filled with errors. Besides it won't be the last book i'll buy.

One poster described it as a good reference thou, so if no one has any better reason for me to get rid of it than a few google searches, i think i'll give it a try. I'll be posting code in the forums anyway, so if something is bogus i'm sure somebody will spot it sooner or later and point it out to me.